What's new

Bought "Dances with Wolves" DTS for $25 at Best Buy. Am I lucky? (1 Viewer)

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
I have been wanting to see this movie in its entirety for a long time. But haven't found it anywhere. I read in this forum that the Dolby and Dts DVD releases were pulled from the shelves in anticipation for a new release this year. Is this correct?

Anyway, I think I got lucky yesterday considering that not only did I find a copy but only for $25. I could have sworn I saw Dances with Wolves DTS on Amazon.com a few months ago for over $100 dollars!! Can somebody back me up on that or other high prices at other DVD sites? I am talking specifically about the DTS version.

I look forward to seeing this gem this weekend. I was going to watch it last night but it was already 2:00 a.m when I started seeing part of it and I know the movie lasts for 3 hrs. The small part of it that I saw I really liked.

Carlos

MickB

Agent
Out of 3 BB in my area I picked up the last copy of the 2 disc DTS version for $25. Awesome picture and sound. This is the original superbit.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I found the LAST ONE at my Best Buy! yay! The sound is AMAZING! :D
PS: Damn, that must have been ONE HELL OF A BOX that they found in their warehouse (it seems EVERY Best Buy store got a couple).

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
DANGIT! I'm going to have to check the coupons and bargains section more often.... dang, dang, dang, I'll have to run to best buy tomorrow... they better have one!

Adam

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The Best Buy I was at yesterday had half a dozen of these - 2 DVDs in a slip case. I thought it must be a reissue.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I was thinking that as well Will, however no other store seems to have them in stock. Maybe BB had a bunch in storage someplace just found them? I sure would like to know the story behind the appearance of this DVD.

-Keith

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, you guys sold me -- I ran out and found one at my local Best Buy. I'd held off buying because I couldn't decide whether to get the DTS or the DD (since the DD has more extras), but y'all sold me on the DTS.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Anyone want to help me out and pick one up for me? We don't have Best Buys here in Sweden, and I have an American checking account I can pay back with (or Paypal).
Please? :)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
What the heck Michael, I have been sending copies of Total Movie to Argentina for another forum member, I guess I can send a copy of Dances with Wolves DTS to Sweden.

You have mail.

-Keith

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I still have my unwrapped, original DVD that I received "free" with the purchase of my first DVD player. The 1-disc DVD in the snapper case has "THX Mastered" on the bottom of the cover. Is this the DD version that you're all talking about?

After reading this thread, I dropped in to my local BB and found several copies of the DTS 2-disc version and picked one up for $22.00.

So, at this stage of development, is DTS sound the superior format to look for on DVDs??? ...better than the TXH-mastered????

On a related note, my copy of "Twister" states THX. Is there a DTS version of this DVD as well. (If not, there should be.)

John Gates

Second Unit
I bought my DTS copy of Dances with Wolves a couple days ago at a Birmingham, AL Best Buy for about $25, and they had 16 copies on the shelf.

John

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
So, at this stage of development, is DTS sound the superior format to look for on DVDs??? ...better than the TXH-mastered????
Jenna THX mastered has become so what of a joke as of late. Since THX is not a sound format, but rather a certification program, the actual benefits of THX are essenttially nil. If a DVD is stated as being THX mastered it means it supposedly meets certain standards, but that is it. The same DVD without the THX stamp would sound exaclty the same. THX is simply a marketing gimmick. As for DTS I would imagine many people feel it is also a marketing gimmick, I don't happen to be one of them. Dolby Digital is a part of the original DVD specs, thus has to be on all DVDs. Dts on the other hand is an option. Only about 10% of my DVDs have DTS so it is not exactly common. I would say if the disc has a DTS track make use of it, but no one should feel upset with a DD 5.1 track. BTW I have the DTS DWW and it sounds great. The sound is natural and not too overwhelming.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
After reading this thread, I paid a visit to the Best Buy up the street from work - 3 left $24.99. *edit - maybe I should have bought two? :D
As for DTS vs DD, it really depends on the specific recording/mastering. I have heard some very good DD mixes, but I find that most or all of the soundtracks I really enjoyed the most, are all DTS. You can still have DTS that is THX mastered, as mentioned, THX is a set of specifications, not a sound format.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Read this thread just before lunch. Went to BB at lunch and picked myself up 1 of the 5 copies they had. Cool!
Does this have a full bit-rate dts track?
Peace Out~:D

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Our BB didn't have a single copy. :frowning:
Anybody willing to help a fellow HTF'r out? I'd like a copy of this super-dooper 2 disc DTS version everybody's talking about too. :)
I can PayPal or personal check.
Thanks!
-Seth

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyshopper_jk