What's new

Bought Coupling (UK) DVD on a blind buy....... (1 Viewer)

MartEvans

Stunt Coordinator
I'll also throw a recommendation in for Spaced especially seeing as it seems aimed squarely at movie/tv fans... great stuff.

The R2 Office season 2 just popped through the door from the great peeps at Bensons - a great disc with some of the funniest deleted scenes I've ever seen. I just read that they are considering making a US version... when will they learn?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I am terrified to see the US version of Coupling. I'm so very fond of our version. I once had the misfortune to see the American version of Men Behaving Badly, and granted I never even cared for the British one, but good grief...

The R2 Office season 2 just popped through the door from the great peeps at Bensons - a great disc with some of the funniest deleted scenes I've ever seen.
Good service considering the R2 doesn't street officially until Monday! Tell me, does Series Two come in a cardboard digipack style case? Series One did initially, and then I started to see keepcase versions. I have the former, and was just curious for sake of consistency.

There's an awful lot of good BBC comedy hitting Region 2 right now. Knowing me Knowing You With Alan Partridge finally makes its DVD debut next week. :D

Dan (UK)

PS: Nice to see some Spaced fans overseas.

MartEvans

Stunt Coordinator
Office 2 is in a keepcase.

Bensons offer a fantastic service - being an ex-pat I rely on them to get my fix of british comedy... I can't rely on BBC America :thumbsdown:

I have a ton of stuff pre-ordered from them and just got Phoenix Nights 2 which is sublime - I have the 2 Alan discs on the way, I just wish they'd go ahead and release the Day Today BACK OF THE NET!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Keepcase eh? Blast!

The Day Today will (disturbingly) be 10 years old next year. I'm hoping we'll finally see it on DVD then. There's an absolutely vast amount of potential for that release.

"Celebrities? What kind of celebrities have you got involved?
"Well uh..... Sebastian Coe-"
"I HATE Sebastian Coe!"

Anyway. We now return to Coupling. "There's too much nudity in the cupboard!!!"

Dan

MartEvans

Stunt Coordinator
"I get very tense around apples... Well, I get very tense generally. I think I’ve fallen into the trap of blaming fruit."

James Reader

Screenwriter
The Day Today is to be released around March next year? I think I read this somewhere.

"Is that cool? Am I cool? Am I? Am I cool? Am I?"
"Find out tonight"

I'm annoyed the UK is not getting better versions of S1 and S2. Oh well, such things happen. Sadly, they always seem to happen after I've bought the inferior versions.

MartEvans

Stunt Coordinator
That would be cool if they could get The Day Today out although I haven't heard any rumours... all I would need then was Big Train and it would be a perfect world :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
"Is that cool? Am I cool? Am I? Am I cool? Am I?"
"Look at me. I'm going 50! 60! Get out of my way you squares!"

There's a book out soon call Alan Partridge: Every Ruddy Word which contains the scripts from all his radio and television exploits. The cover indicates this includes The Day Today, though I've no idea if that means the entire Day Today scripts, or just the Patridge segments (and whether this also includes 'On the Hour').

Hmmm, yes... again Coupling... "It's genetically impossible for men to have opinions about fabric!"

Dan

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yes, let's stay on-topic. The topic is Coupling.

"I want to spend the rest of my life with the woman at the end of that table, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to see several thousand more naked bottoms before I die!"

:wink:

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I love Coupling (UK) and am anxiously looking forward to season 2. I'm curious about this UK box set with extra bonus features. Anyone have any more details?

I'll second the recommendation on Spaced for those with a multi-region DVD player. It's a great show.

Gregory

Teresa

Grip
I adore the UK Coupling. I've tried to give the US version a chance, but you are all absolutely right - there's horrid chemistry, horrid timing, and horrid acting. Thus, the show is a train wreck.

I've tried to convince my best friend of this, but her response has been that she has yet to see the UK version, and now won't until the US version has finished airing. Why? Because she's sure I'm right. But it doesn't matter to her, because she finds the US version amusing. And she has nothing else to watch on thursday nights. So she's watching this butchered version of an amazing show, and there's nothing I can do about it. She won't even watch the dvds until after the american run is done, as she knows there is no going back. I'm at a loss.

But on a much happier note, I'm beyond thrilled that the UK series 4 is beginning filming soon. I was terrified that Moffat was going to spend his time on the US version for so long that we'd not get a UK series 4. I can now breathe again. :)

"Vegetarianism for me is about saying yes to things...even meat." :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
In fact, Robert, BBC/WB just announced a 2/17 release of "Father Ted: The Holy Trilogy"...a $79.98 SRP bundle of all three series in one package! Keen, eh?

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I couldn't seem to find it on Play or Amazon...etc I'd gladly go for that seeing as I've still yet to purchase the initial R2 releases. HMV Exclusive isn't it, Julian?
HMV have it labelled as an exclusive, but there's also a box set available from WH Smiths (online), which may be the same.

I had a look at the set in HMV yesterday. There are commentaries "on selected episodes" of season two, but nothing extra on season one, as far as I can see. I already have the first two discs, and I'm not paying £40 for a couple of commentary tracks and a copy of the third season (which I could get on its own for about £15).

But on a much happier note, I'm beyond thrilled that the UK series 4 is beginning filming soon. I was terrified that Moffat was going to spend his time on the US version for so long that we'd not get a UK series 4. I can now breathe again.
Keep in mind that most British shows have much shorter runs than the average US show. There are many, many shows in the UK that leave you wanting more at the end of the run, while in the US there are way too many shows that go on for several seasons too many. Can anybody say Happy Days? M*A*S*H? All in the Family? etc.. etc.. etc..

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Keep in mind that most British shows have much shorter runs than the average US show. There are many, many shows in the UK that leave you wanting more at the end of the run, while in the US there are way too many shows that go on for several seasons too many.
Quite. That is technically why people should not be referring to these British sitcoms as "seasons" since they don't run anywhere near the length of one. A wee frustration of mine… :)

Dan

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Perhaps if someone does buy the box set, they could let us know precisely how many episodes of the second series have commentary tracks?

I don't think you can draw a distinct line between "season" and "series", certainly not here in the UK.

For example, for as long as I can remember "Doctor Who" has been broken into blocks called seasons. Hardly anyone would say "series 16", for example.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
For example, for as long as I can remember "Doctor Who" has been broken into blocks called seasons. Hardly anyone would say "series 16", for example.
But calling them "seasons" for Doctor Who is a fan invention. At the time of broadcast, the Beeb always used the term "series", i.e. "Doctor Who is back for a new series".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks