Bought component cables, picture looks "better and worse"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanielN, Dec 30, 2002.

1. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator

Here is my equipment:

Sharp 55RWP4H HDTV
    Pioneer VSX-811S receiver
    Aiwa XD-DV370 DVD player (not progressive)

Ok here is the situation...Im using component cables for the DVD player with the Pioneer doing component switching. When I play a DVD the picture is two-fold. The picture looks beautiful (nice and crisp) EXCEPT the red colors. All the reds looks blocky and interlaced (lines running through the all the reds). Its most noticable when the reds are right next to non-red images.

I hope I explained this right, its something you just have to see.

The DVD player is not progressive however the TV has its own line doubler and supposedly produces a 540p image from composite and component inputs.

Any idea what is happening? Thanks.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'm going to move this post over to the TV & Projectors fourms where you can get more expert feedback. This is more than a "Basic" issue.

I can suggest one or two things:

- You might be getting interference on one of your cables. Make sure the component cables are away from all power wires and speaker wires.

- One of your cables could be bad or have a loose/bad connector. All 3 strands in the component cable set are identical except for the color bands. Try changing the cables into different inputs. Just be careful to take the blue wire into the same output/input. If the problem remains with a different cable in each plug, then the cable is not the issue. If the problem changes - your cable is at fault.

- Have you had your TV calibrated or used Video Essential/Avia to roughly set the brightness/contrast/color levels? Often times TV's have the brightness/contrast turned WAY up to produce an eye-catching color on a bright showroom floor. If this is a new TV, you are likely still using the "torch" mode which may show lines/patterns in large red areas simply because the reds are turned way, way up.

Anyone Else have suggestions?

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

PS: Can you connect directly to the TV from the PS DVD player? Does the problem go away? Try BOTH cables.

It's possible that while that receiver CAN handle HD/Progressive signals, the cluster of wires is causing interference because the cables all cram together behind your equipment.

Test both cables by going directly to the TV. If they both check out fine, ... (you are not going to like this):

Run the video through the receiver like you have it now. Fire up a scene with lots of reds and freeze the picture so you can see the blocks/lines.

Now one-by-one disconnect the various cables going to your receiver. Check to see if the problem disappears with each disconnect. This can tell you the cable/device that might be injecting noise into your system.

Start with the CATV coax. This is often the source of 60 hz humm, it might also be affecting the video.

4. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I second Bob's idea.I had run into strange S-Video images on certain light background /slightly darker image situations when I ran video through my reciever.The reciever is an HK 520,so its not exactly junk,I even returned it for a new one.It still does it,So iI just run the DVD and Sat box straight to the TV.I guess sometimes too many conections, and upconverts/donconverts etc[​IMG] and something is gonna give a little.Ive learned from 20 years in the auto industry,the more connections equal more problems[​IMG] .Just cause a company says a componant can do something ,doesnt mean it will do it well.Bypass the reciever and see what happens
    Greg