What's new

Bought CDs vs CD Rs (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have been noticing how sensitive cdrs are compared to bought CDs, this shows up in my car CD changer most notibly.

A small jolt which does not normally affect a bought cd can cause a 1- 2 sec. dropout on a cdr; more on a cdr made on a audio cd recorder than on a computer.

Does the quality of the recorder affect this?

Does a cd somehow manage to have some type of added error decoding for recovery purposes that is left off on cdrs

Thanks

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Some CD players have a tough time with certain brands of CD-Rs. Car players in particular, with the "anti-skip" protection can get hung up when it encounters uncorrectable errors, which are more likely to occur on CD-R media than pressed CDs.

If you have trouble with your CD-Rs, try a different brand. I've had good luck with Sony CD-Rs in my Sony car CD changer. I hear Verbatim discs are good too.

KJP

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've never had problems with any of my burned CDRs in any players. TDK, Maxell, Verbatim...

I agree with trying a different COLOR and/or brand of CDR, as this is what tends to cause most problems like what you describe.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
For some reason some players have problems with CDs burned at higher speeds (most notably this would occur when being played in my car's Sony 10 disk changer). Sometimes my CD copies would skip, miss tracks, or not even work at all, but burning them at 1x or 2x fixed all those problems.

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I agree with trying different colors of CD-Rs. My wife's car CD player won't play anything but the black CD-Rs. They're the only ones I use now, and I never have a problem with them whatever speed I burn them at.

SMK

Kyle_W

Agent
well it's mainly because the bought cd's are burned through the top and then the label is put on, where hte burned ones are burned on the bottom. also such cd players/changers as sony and aiwa aren't really that great, i wouldnt' let a sony product get within 10 feet of my car, although i like my sony home reciever, nothing against sony just that thier car audio equipment isn't exactly top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks