What's new

Bought any new lenses lately? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ever since I picked up the Canon 85mm F1.8 in late May, I've been rummaging around the various spots on the web for other lenses. I am awaiting the arrival of 2 lenses (hopefully they'll get there by next week): Canon EF 50mm F1.4 - sometimes, just can't really use the 85mm in certain rooms. And I couldn't afford the F1.2 L version. Canon EF 17-40mm F/4 - wanted something wider than my normal Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8, and I just couldn't pull the trigger on the Canon 16-35mm F2.8 II at this time. Plus, I figure most of its use would be either outdoors with plenty of sunlight, or with a bounced flash indoors, so the faster 16-35 wouldn't really help me much. I figure I'll get to use them at at least 3 conventions this year, and I'd be almost done with lens purchases for a while.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Awesome bud, good luck with them! Unfortunately I've run out of the realistically priced lenses and my lust now turns only to those which I can't justify given my meager talents and bank account: 70-200VR2 -$2200 400f2.8VR2 - ~10k 500f4VR2 - $8k And a D3s or D4 ~$5500 Iwillnotgettemptedbythef1.4trinity Iwillnotgettemptedbythef1.4trinity Iwillnotgettemptedbythef1.4trinity Iwillnotgettemptedbythef1.4trinity Iwillnotgettemptedbythef1.4trinity Iwillnotgettemptedbythef1.4trinity

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
In April, I got the Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI VC USD for my Nikon, and I love it. It stays on my camera a lot more than my other lens. Hope to get a macro lens before too much longer, but it may be Oct. or Nov. before I can.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't even want to start looking at long-range lenses, the size/weight issue just doesn't hold that much inducement for me to get in on that side of photography. I'm just going to stick with the 70-200 F4 IS lens I have for now. I guess a macro lens might still be in the running for one of my next lens purchases.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was not prepared for the distortion on the sides at the 17mm-20mm end of the 17-40mm lens (on a full-frame body), but as long as I pad the sides a little bit in my framing, I can fix the distortion with Lightroom 3 for a presentable photo. I found a good event to test out the 17-40mm lens: at a calendar release party inside a videogame-lan bar 2 evenings ago, it was nice not need a lot of space between lens and subjects and still getting everyone in the frame/shot. http://www.flickr.com/photos/patcave/sets/72157627058734793/ I used the 50mm last Sunday, and it definitely requires more space between the lens and the subject (obviously), and it's less spontaneous for my mode of snapping photos of cosplay folks. My white balance was a mess in the hotel ballroom area I was shooting in that day. I'm going to need more practice with moving my focus point in portrait shoots because shooting wide open doesn't allow you to focus (half-shutter button hold), and re-compose due to the depth of focus following a spherical surface focus plane. Not a great set of photos, but at least it was good to get some practice with it. I'd use it when it's a specific photo-shoot where I can control the distance between lens and subject. http://www.flickr.com/photos/patcave/sets/72157627041568881/ I think the next lens I've saving up for will be the Canon EF 35mm F1.4L. Unfortunately it's pricey, so it'll be next year before I consider buying it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The last two lenses I added were the Canon 28mm f/1.8 and Canon 100-400L IS. The former works great as an indoor general purpose lens on my crop sensor 7D. The 100-400L has been getting a major workout this past week in Yellowstone. It has worked out well for the wildlife in the park, but I was drooling over another photographer's 600mm L. I will post a few photos after I have a chance to go through the 40GB+ of raw files.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks