bought amp, slight hissing??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas M.B., Jun 23, 2002.

1. Thomas M.B.

Thomas M.B. Auditioning

Ok so I'm on a poor college students budgit and I stroll through the pawn shops once in a while. Yes I know, they DO try torip you off. Anyways I come across this sanyo two channel amp with the diagonal led power output indicator ($100). It says on the back 400w and the leds will light up to four hundered watts. It does sound really good, but I'm worried about the fact that even when the rest of my equipment, (input, pre) are turned off I can hear a slight hiss about 5 inches and closer to the tweeter. Is this a bad sign of things to come, or is it noticably coloring the sound. I'm attracted to the high wattage but not if it's making my music dirty. I have one more day to return it so please post with ANY comments. Thanks guys. (and gals).[​IMG]

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Return it. Get your money back. If you're on a budget and this is what you plan on spending, consider such things as classified ads, demos and returns at various stores, refurbs, ebay. I'd pass on the Sanyo.

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

it's been my experience that if you put your ear right up to the tweeter of a speaker, you will hear some hiss. with my aragon 8008bb turned on and nothing else, if i put my ear right next to the tweeter, i can hear a faint but audible hiss. some hiss is natural and to be expected in my experiece...however, if it is audible at your listening position, then that could be a bad sign. with my pre-pro turned on and cranked to -15db with no source, i can hear nothing at my listening position (~12 ft. away). i'd say as long as it isn't noticeable where you're sitting...you should be fine. hopefully others will chime in to defend or refute my experiences.

kevin t

4. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

5. Thomas M.B.

Thomas M.B. Auditioning

Thanks a lot guys. Quick question though, I opened er' up and it looks like the heat sinks have a tube going through them which looks almost exactly like a cars radiator, has anyone heard of a liquid cooled amp? (besides bazooka). Also, if the protector goes on it sounds either like water gurgling or somethin's cookin. I think it'd be a smart idea to return it before I start something on fire.[​IMG]

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

what's the model # on the sanyo? you going to uminn?

7. Thomas M.B.

Thomas M.B. Auditioning

I'ts a power plus (plus p55)
    No my sister goes to the U. I went to Mankato state for a semester but didn't like it so now I'm going to a local comm. college. Cheap!