Bought a widescreen, alittle confused on one thing

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DaveD', Nov 12, 2004.

1. DaveD'

DaveD' Stunt Coordinator

Got to get to work so I'll make this quick. I just bought a Sanyo 30" widescreen(HT30744) for my bedroom and I'm alittle confused when it comes to the widescreen and viewing dvds. When the picture is set to normal the dvd only takes up about half the screen, "postage stamp" I think it's called. When in full it's just stretched to fill, which seems to be a lot more noticeably stretched when viewing dvds vs games or cable tv. The only way I can get it to fill the screen as much as it can is if I zoom it which makes the picture look almost worse than a cable broadcast. I know the aspect ratio it was filmed in ultimately decides how much it can fill. Unless I'm not doing something right, this is basically canceling out what my purpose for buying a widescreen tv.

2. Jonny_L

Jonny_L Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, you have to set your DVD player to match your TV. Be aware that while most DVD's are 16:9 encoded, there are still a lot of older ones that AREN'T. Including movies that have been letterboxed in a square frame. Also, most bonus features on DVD's are not 16:9 enhanced so that's when you would use stretching features to fill the screen. Personally, I would just watch the material in their native shapes, whether it be 16:9 or square 4:3.

3. DaveD'

DaveD' Stunt Coordinator

I just switched it to 16:9 now and it made no difference. I still have to put it on zoom 2 to get the widescreen image to fill the screen. Here's some pics to show what I mean. This is with a widescreen movie and my dvd player set to 16:9.
    NORMAL
    [​IMG]
    FULL
    [​IMG]
    ZOOM 2
    [​IMG]

I would think because it widescreen, in normal mode it'd make the picture fill or almost fill the screen depending on aspect ratio of the film. Doesn't that make sense? I don't mind if it doesn't fill the screen. I just don't want to have to have the film stretched if it doesn't need to be. One more thing, I would think if you took the "normal" setting widscreen and then made it "full" it'd have to become how it is in the zoom 2 view in order to preserve ratio.

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Dave, you are simply playing an older DVD. Many older DVDs simply provided a widescreen picture WITHIN the regular square shape. For those older DVDs, yeah, you'll have to zoom in.

Pop in a modern DVD, like the current Star Wars films for example, and you'll see that you won't need to zoom in.

Oops I see Johnny L already told you this. But it's still true.

5. DaveD'

DaveD' Stunt Coordinator

The dvd I just watched is new(Chronicles of Riddick). I work at blockbuster so we get to view them early.

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

If Chronicles of Riddick looks like the second picture (the one marked "full") there's nothing wrong.

C of R has an aspect ratio of 2:40. Your set's aspect ratio is 1:78, so you have black bars at top and bottom.

If you play a 1:85 aspect ratio dvd like Jurassic Park, the picture will look like the third picture you posted. Technically even a 1:85 movie should have very thin black bars on a 1:78 screen but all sets have some overscan.

For an explanation of why you still have black bars on a widescreen set read this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=332900

7. DaveD'

DaveD' Stunt Coordinator

Ok, thanks Steve. I understand about aspect ratios and why some dvds won't fill the screen completely. I think I answered my own question today though when using the thx video config. on the Star Wars dvd, which is the slight stretching the full mode does is actually stretching the video to what it should normally looks like, not more than it should be. I think that's what I was confused on.

8. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

Normal - 4:3 material
    Full - 16:9 Anamorphic material
    Zoom - 16:9 Non-Anamorphic material