1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bought a Toyota Sienna

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron-P, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Yea, and the only thing on the new Honda's that is made in Japan is the transmissions, everything else is made in America in either Ohio or Kentucky. and pretty much the same goes for Toyota and Nissan as well.
    On the Honda's, it says right on the sticker 85% made in USA, 15% imported parts from Japan. However some models differ, some are 80/20, some are 90/10, I'm not sure if some instrumentation or something else accounts for the differences.
    Today, with all the merging of companies and designs, most new cars are designed and built by a combination of countries and computers. [​IMG]
    A new Honda is MORE American than a Mercury Villager(for example). The Honda is at least 80/20. And the Mercury Villager is a Nissan Quest in disguise. BTW the Quest/Villager is about 50/50 American(Ford) and Japanese.
    Of course I probably am living in the wrong era being the Hot Rod/MOPAR enthusiast that I am. My family car is my combo Hot Rod/ Bracket Car '69 Dart, souped up, but not much fun on long trips!
    I have to get my wife a newer car at tax time. [​IMG]
    Back in the '60's or '70's American Cars WERE American, and Japanese or other imports were actually shipped on a boat from their respective countries!
    I was actually going to buy my wife a new car last year, and being a Chrysler man, I went into the Local Chrysler dealership and was looking at the Chrysler Sebring.
    I was shocked to find out that most of the interior panels and pretty much all the plastic was made in China, and the whole drivetrain assembly(engine, tranny, rear end)was all Mitsubishi! At the time I was told that the only 100% American Chryslers(Chrysler,Dodge, and Plymouth) were the trucks, Caravans, Viper, Prowler, Neon, 300M, and I think the Stratus and Intrepid(most still built at Hamtramck).
    This is typical though of the big 3(Chrysler, Ford, and Chevrolet)Today. The new Chevy Venture? mostly Isuzu, and so on.
    So basically if you want a great American car get a Honda,Toyota or Nissan! [​IMG]
    BTW Ron, ENJOY your new car!
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
    [Edited numerous times because of Sean's incredibly Spastic posting method's! [​IMG] on November 15, 2001 at 09:03 PM]
    [Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 15, 2001 at 09:20 PM]

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Steve Schaffer
    All Toyota Siennas and Avalons are built in Georgetown Kentucky, as are many Camrys. The Corollas all come from the Nummi plant in Fremont, California, or another plant in western Canada. All Solaras are built in Canada, Ontario I think.
    Tundras and Sequoias are all built in Indiana. The Tacoma is also built in the Nummi plant.
    All Celicas, RAV-4s, MR-2 Spyders, and Highlanders are built in Japan.
    I've been a Toyota dealership technician for 30 years, and in my experience quality control on North American built models is every bit as good as Japanese built vehicles.
    High auto quality is much more dependent on design and the attitude of the mfr than on location of assembly plants or nationality of workers. My Nissan Sentra was built in Mexico, and has been flawless for the year I've owned it.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Come to think of it Steve, I think the Neon's and a couple other models are also assembled in Mexico(of american components).
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

4. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Remember the Toyota Van in the 80s? Those things rule!! I own one. It was given to me by my Uncle and had the engine rebuilt after the water pump blew. Now she's having bucking and misfiring problems. Probably an ignition coil going bad. Couldn't get it to start after I drove it for a few minutes. Got it to start, so one of these days, we're gonna take it into a shop and have them look at it. My goal is to keep this van on the road as long as possible. I love the way it drives and handles. I definently wouldn't get a Sienna or a Previa. I like the front wheels and engine under my ass. Yeah, engine is a PITA to work on with the location it's at. But hey, I'm no mechanic, so I let the repair shop work on it. I plan on having some major body work done to it and a new audio system someday.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Nice choice, Ron. I think Toyota makes great vehicles -- I recently sold a '93 Camry that still looked and ran almost as good as the day I drove it off the showroom floor. I would have loved a Sienna, but we instead bought a Mercury Villager minivan for my wife. It's really a rebadged Nissan Quest, and we were able to buy it under a Ford Motor Company employee discount plan, as well as get 0.9% financing, a rebate and use up the last of our Ford Citibank Driver's Edge dollars. Toyota rarely gives these kind of sales incentives, because they do not need to.

Speaking of "foreign" vs. "American" cars, a friend's father gave me a hard time when I purchased the Camry mentioned above. I then asked him if he realized that his daughter's Ford Probe was really a Mazda MX6, or that another friend's GM pickup was built in Ontario, while my Toyota was built in Kentucky. I also had a co-worker say she liked my Toyota, but her husband would never buy a "foreign" car. I then informed her that the car she was getting into -- an Eagle Talon -- was really a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

I am amazed how many people have no clue what's really under the hood of their car.

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Which kind of bring up the question: Why do they still call the American auto industry "The Big Three"? Isn't Chrysler (along with Dodge and Jeep) now owned by Mercedes-Benz?

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    WOW, talk about reviving a dead thread. My wife loves her Sienna. Great ride, very comfortable and the interior space is excellent. It's a great ride.

Yes Scott, it is amazing. There is no such thing as a 100% made in America car anymore.

Peace Out~

8. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I've always thought that they should make a sport version of the Sienna. Stiffen up the suspension, give it a manual transmission, slap a turbo or 2 on the engine. They would have to call it the "Senna" of course [​IMG]

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Haha, back from the dead.. i thought something was wrong when i saw Rob Lutter announce his 401st post [​IMG]

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Well, for $3,500.00, TRD(Toyota Racing Development) has a turbocharger for the Sienna....

To think that Toyota actually has this item, someone must be working overtime in the lab.

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    ...or sniffing too much 40 weight.

Peace Out~;D