What's new

Bought a Sony DRU 500A DVD+ -RW/= -R/CD burner tell me good some ways to use it. (1 Viewer)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
OK, I used a BestBuy 10% off coupon to buy it this past weekend. I wasn't sure if I really needed it but didn't want the coupon to go to waste. Plus I fiqured I have 30 days to decide on keeping it. Can anybody help me by giving suggestions for using it? I also wonder if I can make my own demo disc taking certain scenes from my DVD collection to include on a single DVD? Can I make a greatest hits video DVD from my collection with this unit? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reece

Stunt Coordinator
Reginald...

Congratulations on your purchase.... I think you will really like the Sony. I've owned mine since around Christmas and I find myself recording dvds with all my free time now. If your like most people @ this forum you probably have invested a lot of $$ on HT equipment and can truly appreciate being able to record and watch your own dvds on your system. Definitely keep it...I think the Sony has future proofed itself by covering all formats so your investment is sound IMHO.

I can give you a few humble suggestions that I have found to be helpful with my Sony purchase.

(1) The cheapest and most reliable media that I've run across can be found at the
PC CLUB. The -R can be played by most recent dvd players and I have found the Panasonic cp72 can play all formats(My guess is the famed rp-82 can do the same).

(2) Always record your projects on -RW/+RW before final burning to -R/+R. This suggestion will save your sanity as well as your money. (When I first started burning dvds I made a lot of coasters before learning this).

(3) Rima.comis a good site that sells cheap dvd cases.

To answer your dvd compilation question...If this is about commercial dvds, I don't think that this forum would allow a discussion on that subject since that involves circumventing the discs encryption and violating copyright laws.

That being said....Google your heart out!

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
Yes, you can make your own custom dvds, given you can find the right software. Here are some other things you can do:

- Slide show dvds from collected digital pictures (digital camera or scanner needed)
- Home movie dvds from home videos (camcorder needed)
- Dvds made from video captured television shows or movies (tv capture card needed)
- data archiving for stuff too big to fit on a cd-rom

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Anybody know the difference between the Sony DRU 500A and The Sony DRU 500AX DVD Writers? I can get the AX for the same price as the A should I returned the 500A for the AX?

BTW the 500A drive is still unopened in its factory sealed box.

I see this unit as no different than my TDK CD-RW which allows me to make a greatest hits CD from my CD collection. I simply want to know if this unit is capable of doing the same for DVD.

Thanks guys.

sonny_b

Agent
I believe the only difference is the updated firmware to allow you to burn faster. Gabriel_Lam posted the site in his post above...

-sonny

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I see this unit as no different than my TDK CD-RW which allows me to make a greatest hits CD from my CD collection. I simply want to know if this unit is capable of doing the same for DVD.
in a nutshell....no.

plus, you're asking about illegally copying a commercial dvd. that's frowned upon here, but i'm sure you should already know this... ;)

unless you plan on making home movies and distributing them on dvd, then you may not really have a need for a dvd burner.

Luke_Y

Second Unit
plus, you're asking about illegally copying a commercial dvd. that's frowned upon here, but i'm sure you should already know this...
OK, The key is what he actually asked.

"Can I make a greatest hits video DVD from MY collection with this unit?"

Well I take that to mean that he is talking about DVDs that he owns .

I think we all stand together on the issue of "fair use" rights under copyright law. For more info on "Fair Use" try here
Protect Fair Use

In hopes of keeping the thread open for further discussion I won't link the sites sponsor 321 Studios.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
luke - the same techniques can be used to illegally make copies of dvd. that's what is frowned upon here...discussion of the techniques

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks