Bought a PS2 Today

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChristopherS, Aug 15, 2002.

1. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

Turned out to be a rather expensive day for video gaming in my house. I went to my local EB to get a copy of NFL 2k3 for my XBOX and while I was there I ended up buying a used PS2 from someone who was there trading it in (I was then asked to leave by the teenage store manager and had to go to the video gaming store right above it in the mall to get Madden 2003 for the PS2). Quick question: to get my PS2 online using my broadband connection do I have to buy the Sony adapter out later this month or is there a cheaper option?

Now all I need to get is the GameCube and I will have all the bases covered.

Chris

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I'd make sure rightaway that it plays CD & DVD based games correctly, Chris.

3. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

Brian,
    When I called my wife to tell her the good news, she pretty much asked the same question (Does it even work? [​IMG] ). As I paid the kid cash and did not ask for any information from him I am pretty much hoping it works. I did ask if everything worked but I did not verify anything (in hindsight what else was the guy going to say?). I am still not setting it up until this weekend. Tonight is NFL 2k3 bliss, tomorrow or Saturday I will see if I scored or if I got taken. I certainly am not buying any accessories until I know if I own a boat anchor or not.
    Chris

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

You need to buy the network adapter that comes out later this month. Only Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 will work with a third party USB modem.

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Enjoy it!

6. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

There will no doubt be third party network adapters at some point, but at only $39 you may as well get the Sony one.

7. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Then again, the $39.99 for the network adapter is 56k and ethernet in one, plus the software that comes with it, which includes demos of online games and a coupon for a free game.

9. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Actually, there are people getting online right now with Madden 2003 PS2 using a cheap (~$19?) USB ethernet adapter...

10. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

I did set-up the PS2 last night and followed Brian's suggestion. Everything seems to be working. I played part of a CD, watched a bit of LOTR, and played a complete game of Madden. Had quite a bit of fun with the game. I have not played a Madden game in years and playing the Bucs I pretty much routed the Rams (default settings).

Thanks for the information Andrew. I will call around this afternoon and pick up a USB ethernet card. I am looking forward to going online.

Chris

11. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

12. JohnGoggan

JohnGoggan Stunt Coordinator

Indeed -- you get Twisted Metal: Black Online free with Sony's adapter, so it really isn't that bad of a deal...
    Then again, I've had a Sony NIC in my PS2 for over a year now. [​IMG]
    - John...