1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bought a pair of 100W 8ohm speakers, how many watts amp i'm gonna need to drive them?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Chevy_Monsenhor, May 22, 2016.

1. Chevy_Monsenhor

Chevy_Monsenhor Auditioning

Felipe Fagundes
    So, i bought this beautiful and well kept matching pair of Technics SB-LX70 speakers.
    The speakers power handling is of 100w at 8ohms.
    Now i need an amplifier to drive said speakers, but how many watts i'm gonna need?
    I was thinking about buying a Pioneer SA-7500, maybe an Akai AM-35 integrated amp, but i'm not sure if those can manage to deliver enough power to drive the speakers...

2. Martino

Martino Supporting Actor

Martin O.
    Found this spec page on your speakers...

According to that - these have an efficiency rating of: 90

SPL, 1 Watt/ 1Meter, dB - will produce 90 dB of sound....

"The speakers power handling is of 100w at 8ohms."

Those numbers don't mean too much --

Looking at what you are trying to drive them with:

Pioneer SA-7500 - Stereo Integrated Amplifier (1975-78) - Power output: 40 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Akai AM-35 - Stereo Integrated Amplifier (1990-91) - Power output: 60 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Either of these should be fine - if you are worried about power output, go with the Akai and get a little more head room.