Bought a new Subwoofer...have a few questions inside.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Garen_S, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Garen_S

Garen_S Extra

While casually looking around at Best Buy, I saw a KLH ASW10120 sitting in the corner. Sure enough, it was on sale for $59.60. So I bought it with no hesitation because I sure needed something better then my JVC 8inch 60 watt subwoofer that didn't produce any bass. I came home and connected it using my old rca cable to the Subwoofers Red/Mono female plug. I already noticed a difference when I started up my X-Box to test it out. I really like the power because now I can actually feel the bass, however, there are some options that I am not sure of. Can someone please explain to me the following:These are from behind the subwoofer.

The Crossover Frequency which ranges from 50hZ-160hZ.

Also, there are some options on my JVC RX 6008V DTS/DD Reciever that I am not sure of:

LFE ATT - 0dB or 10dB

Crossover Frequency- 80hZ,100hZ,120hZ.

My satelite speakers are small 6inch JVC Speakers.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You,

Garen S.

2. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Garen,

Since your receiver has an electronic crossover control, you should 'disable' the crossover on your sub by turning it all the way up to 160Hz.

For the LFE attenuation, unless the KLH sub frequently struggles with low, loud bass at your normal listening level, leave it at 0dB. But for example, with a known sub-killer DVD such as The Haunting, it might be advisable to enable the LFE attenuation.

Lastly, setting the crossover on your receiver depends on the frequency response of your satellite speakers. Since 6 inch woofers are usually capable of decent extension in the right enclosure, I'd recommend a setting of either 80Hz or 100Hz.

Hope this helps!
    -Vinh

3. RenoV

RenoV Agent

The crossover on the sub filters out any frequencies above the point you set it to and alows any frequency below to pass on to the sub.

The LFE ATT on the receiver attentuates the LFE channel, in other words it makes it quieter by 10dB in your case.

The crossover on your receiver filters out the frequencies below the point set for all speakers set to "small" and redirects them to the sub

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Pretty much what Reno said - He beat me to it...

Hey - Vinh, too!!

X-over = The number you dial it to is where it slopes off as the tone gets higher. Note that it's a slope, not a "brick wall". To get the most out of your speakers, try setting all of the speakers in your system to small, and open the sub's x-over dial fully. Your receiver will do the crossover function for you that way.

If you can't switch the speakers to small, run the speaker wire "thru" the sub's speaker level in's and out's. Then use the x-over dial to blend in where the main JVC's drop off and where the KLH picks up. Usually 80hz or so.

LFE ATT = The level of the LFE track on DD soundtracks. You can tweak it to suit your taste, and is relevant only to DTS and DD (I may be a bit off on that, but not far. LFE is a component of 5.1 so there you go). Keep it at 0, and tweak the "sub level" instead. The Sub Level is the overall sub output and is adjusted when calibrating. LFE is just LFE, and should fall in place naturally after calibration.

80, 100, 120 = The setting for the rec's crossover when setting the mains to small. As I said in the first paragraph, the receiver can do the crossing over for you. These are the choices the JVC gives you. Try all three. Generally, the 80hz will make the sub hard to locate (good. Bass should be heard and felt, but should come from everywhere, not the sub. The higher the x-over, the easier it is to tell where the sub is in the room). 120 will keep the bass away from your mains, but may lend some extra boom to the sub which is undesireable in most instances.

I hope that covers the questions.

Anything else?

- CM

5. Garen_S

Garen_S Extra

Wow, that cleared it up. Thanks alot guys, I'm going to test some DVD's right now.

I got a question to ask though, can you give me the URL to the site that explained the Calibration using the SL meter. I have access to Home Essentials, so I just need that site to properly set it up. Thanks

6. Garen_S

Garen_S Extra

WOW!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG] I just watched some scenes in Mission Impossible 2...when you entered my room, you could feel the bass frequencies in the air.I am really really amazed, I can actually feel the bass, with my old Sub, all I heard was a groggly sound, no bass whatsoever. It's getting late so i dont want to play around anymore, but I think I can make it sound a little better and sweeter by following what you guys said. So I will give it a try tommorow and I will let you guys know.
    Thanks

7. Garen_S

Garen_S Extra

Hey Colin, thanks for the reply.

On my reciever I have the X-Over set at 100hZ, on my subwoofer, I set it at 150hZ, but after I did that the bass wasn't clean anymore, it sounded a bit grogly, I reduced it to around 110hz and now it's fine.

However, the bass volume is about 6/10..should I decrease that and increase the X-Over on the sub?

8. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

The rule of thumb is keep the crossover wide open on the sub, and use the RCA input only, no speaker wires.

Try dropping the rec. x-over to 80. Your rec. should have a Sub trim that is seperate from the LFE trim. Set it to zero, and you should then have a swing of +/- 6 or 10db from that.

When the trim's at zero, sub x-over wide open, rec x-over at 80, start with low volume on the sub vol knob and listen to familiar music, bringing the knob up a bit at a time until it's overtaking the sound too much. Then knock a couple of db's off with the receiver.

In practice it may take a week of tweaking, it's really the only way to get the hang of your particular system. However, with Vid Ess and a meter, it's a 5 minute operation.

Note - the sub out from most receivers tend to distort if at +2 or higher. Not a lot, but a bit. So - after your final tweak, ideally you should be at 1/4 of your sub level on the receiver. For example, I have a swing of 20db, -10 to +10. I try to keep it at -5 for the initial cal, and work the knobs on the sub.

It will all be clear in a week of tweaks and after the DVD setup.

Sorry for rambling...

9. Garen_S

Garen_S Extra

Thanks Alot..can't wait to get off work today.[​IMG]

10. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I just added an Adire Rava sub to my Marantz / Mordaunt-Short system, and I'm using the receiver's Sub Out coax to the Rava. When the front speakers are set to "Small" the receiver crossover setting is 100Hz, and is not variable. On the advice of people on this board and elsewhere, I "disabled" the sub's crossover by setting it to its maximum of 150Hz, letting the receiver handle the bass management.

This setup wasn't the best, as certain deep male voices could be heard through the sub. Reducing the Rava's crossover setting to 100Hz solved the problem, but I'm wondering if that's the best setting. Is there a rule on this - should the sub crossover be set the same as the receiver? Lower? Higher?

11. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Garen,
    This page might help some if you have a copy of Video Essenials (what you meant above I'd guess) and a sound meter. This procedure will not only help your SUB setting (I would go for a setting on your sub at the same level as your mains, and experiment with setting your mains both large and small, checking your calibration after ANY change) but will help balance your entire system.
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#meter
    The above was written with SVS's in mind but can be used for any sub really.
    Ron

12. Garen_S

Garen_S Extra

Thanks for the link. One thing I noticed was that when the Frequency Cutoff on the subwoofer is set to 150hz, the bass sounds very grogly, setting it to 100hZ or so clears that problem up. I am going to borrow my cousins video essentials and I will calibrate my system this weekend. Thanks for all the help guys! [​IMG]