What's new

Bought a new Sanyo, having some problems (1 Viewer)

MikeArcher

Grip
I just bought a 32" CRT Sanyo (DS32424) from Walmart a couple days ago. I've gotta say it's a touch better than my 13" RCA but I'm having some issues with it. I tried contacting Sanyo tech support but they weren't much help, this is the letter I sent in:

I have no problem taking the television back to Walmart if I know the problem is going to be fixed, but I can just see me lugging this thing back in, getting a replacement, hauling it back home and having the exact same problems. Do these sound like problems that I should be able to fix by myself? Are they just a result of a cheap t.v.? Or is Mr. Techsupport right, and I'd be better off just taking it back to get a replacement? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
By too bright, do you mean: 1) dark areas and picture shadows look gray instead of black, or 2) whites are blazingly bright and almost hurt your eyes?
The curvature is a geometry issue and can usually be fixed in the service menu by a calibrator or by yourself if you're technically savvy and do some research. The artifact at the top of the screen sounds like it might be an overscan issue (less than 2% overscan can cause problems). Is it at the very top sliver of the screen? If it is a lack of overscan, it can also be fixed in the service menu.
Before you attempt either of these fixes, you should have a test DVD. Sound & Vision's Tune Up, DVE, or Avia are the leading test DVD's.

SimiA

Second Unit
Or, you can take it back and get a new one.
I also bought a $400 CRT from CC. It had similar issues. I exchanged it! No more problem!!!
Even though you "only spent $400"!...I'd go thru the minor hassle, bring it back, and get a new set.
But, that's just me.
Vb

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor

Hi, Mike.

Take the set back, it sounds like a defective one When you get the new one turn the "contrast" down to make the image "less bright".

Contrast (sometimes labeled "picture") settings refer to the video level or output of the device. What is usually labeled "brightness" refers to the black level of the picture. Adjust "brightness" so that the black portion of the picture is black (not gray) but not so far down that the lower grays will be compressed and shadow detail will be lost. This will get you in the ballpark.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks