Bought a new computer

Discussion in 'Computers' started by BrianShort, Jan 28, 2005.

1. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

Ordered a new machine the other day from NewEgg

DFI Lanboy NForce 3 based motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU (Socket 754, though I think I probably should have gone with a 939 instead after reading more. Run cooler and are more OCable, though I don't know if I'll end up doing that or not. Apparently the DFI motherboard is very OCable too.)
    XFX NVidia GeForce 6600GT
    1 gig Crucial PC3200 DDR ram
    200 gig ATA 133 HD
    ViewSonic 17" LCD, DVI, 8ms latency (don't remember the model number off the top of my head)
    Some $50 5.1 speakers from Logitech (going to use onboard sound)
    Antec Sonata case
    MS Wireless keyboard and mouse
    Half Life 2!!! and Far Cry (Free!)

Hopefully this should last a little while. My past history indicates I'm not a frequent upgrader (past systems I've used for around 2 years), so I decided to save a bit of money by going with an AGP based motherboard and the socket 754 CPU. If I find that in a couple years I need something faster, I think I'll just need to upgrade the MB, CPU, and Video, and reuse the rest of the hardware (case, monitor, drives). I know Intel has been trying to push a new form factor to replace ATX, but hopefully that won't happen for awhile, and I won't be forced to buy another case too [​IMG]

Brian

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

So...how much is ur new toy?

3. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

$1580 with shipping. That price also includes the OEM version of Windows XP Home and Half Life 2. Shipping was $116! (the disadvantages of living in Alaska [​IMG])

Now, with a 200 gig HD, how should I partition it? I was thinking about making at least a 2nd small partition for Linux, but I also see the use of creating a largish partition for data files (digital photos, mp3s, etc.)

Brian

4. DaveNel

DaveNel Second Unit

I would get system commander and let it do your partitions.
    That way you can have all the operating systems on your PC if you want them [​IMG]

5. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Actually, the price isn't that bad. A kick ass system for under $1800 always seem.....logical.[​IMG]

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

If you want to mess with Linux just put a 3 or 4GB partition at the BEGINNING of the drive. That way you'll use Linux's boot instead of MS's. This will allow you to boot to either OS at startup. I really don't think you'd need more than 3 or 4GB for Linux which would leave 196GB to play with other stuff.

7. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

Here's a good page with info on setting up a dual boot system using Fedora by Redhat, I used this on my laptop and no problems. It should also apply to most other Linux based OS's.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...-dualboot.html

Sounds like a nice system your building up, I just rebuilt mine with a Abit KV8 pro and athalon 64 3400+. Runs great, the only issues I had were with trying to run it on a 320 watt power supply, which burned it out in 3 days. The system is now running great using a 420W Antec True Power.