What's new

Bought a new computer (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Ordered a new machine the other day from NewEgg

DFI Lanboy NForce 3 based motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU (Socket 754, though I think I probably should have gone with a 939 instead after reading more. Run cooler and are more OCable, though I don't know if I'll end up doing that or not. Apparently the DFI motherboard is very OCable too.)
XFX NVidia GeForce 6600GT
1 gig Crucial PC3200 DDR ram
200 gig ATA 133 HD
ViewSonic 17" LCD, DVI, 8ms latency (don't remember the model number off the top of my head)
Some $50 5.1 speakers from Logitech (going to use onboard sound)
Antec Sonata case
MS Wireless keyboard and mouse
Half Life 2!!! and Far Cry (Free!)

Hopefully this should last a little while. My past history indicates I'm not a frequent upgrader (past systems I've used for around 2 years), so I decided to save a bit of money by going with an AGP based motherboard and the socket 754 CPU. If I find that in a couple years I need something faster, I think I'll just need to upgrade the MB, CPU, and Video, and reuse the rest of the hardware (case, monitor, drives). I know Intel has been trying to push a new form factor to replace ATX, but hopefully that won't happen for awhile, and I won't be forced to buy another case too ;)

Brian

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
$1580 with shipping. That price also includes the OEM version of Windows XP Home and Half Life 2. Shipping was $116! (the disadvantages of living in Alaska :frowning:)

Now, with a 200 gig HD, how should I partition it? I was thinking about making at least a 2nd small partition for Linux, but I also see the use of creating a largish partition for data files (digital photos, mp3s, etc.)

Brian

DaveNel

Second Unit
I would get system commander and let it do your partitions.
That way you can have all the operating systems on your PC if you want them :)

SethH

Senior HTF Member

If you want to mess with Linux just put a 3 or 4GB partition at the BEGINNING of the drive. That way you'll use Linux's boot instead of MS's. This will allow you to boot to either OS at startup. I really don't think you'd need more than 3 or 4GB for Linux which would leave 196GB to play with other stuff.

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
Here's a good page with info on setting up a dual boot system using Fedora by Redhat, I used this on my laptop and no problems. It should also apply to most other Linux based OS's.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...-dualboot.html

Sounds like a nice system your building up, I just rebuilt mine with a Abit KV8 pro and athalon 64 3400+. Runs great, the only issues I had were with trying to run it on a 320 watt power supply, which burned it out in 3 days. The system is now running great using a 420W Antec True Power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks