Bought a new cable modem today!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Woo Hoo! I'm back on the super information highway doing 100MPH! My old Toshiba PCX1000 that I was leasing from ATT finally died yesterday. I called in for tech support and after going through all of the usual steps to try and resuscitate it, the tech support dude pronounced the last rites for the cable modem, and set me up for a tech visit next Thursday to swap out the cable modem.

Well, that was just too long to be without high speed internet access, so I exercised my option to go buy a cable modem, and that's what I did today. I wound up with the Motorola SB4200 after reading a few reviews (while on dial-up - suffice it to say, my research wasn't too intensive or in depth) on it being good even with a weak cable signal (when other model failed to connect).

So I bopped around the usual places, Circuit City, CompUSA, and checked the Sunday ads (they sell the early edition in Saturday at the supermarket) to see if there were any deals. I would have gotten the Toshiba PCX2200 but ATTBI doesn't officially support it yet, and while there was going to be a sale on that model for $80 (after $40 mail in rebate) starting tomorrow, there were some priced at $100 with no rebate today at CompUSA. The Motorola SB4200 was $90 (after $10 mail-in rebate) at Circuit City, but I decided to check Best Buy, another couple of miles away, and I lucked out in that BB had the SB4200 for sale for $80 without any mail-in rebates! Grabbed the very last one they had on the shelves and flashed my credit card to the cashier and got the hell out of BB before I start buying other stuff.

After getting ATTBI to re-provision the new cable modem with its MAC address and customer serial number, waiting a few minutes, rebooting my linux box, I was back in business! Once I turn in the old cable modem, I'll get $5/month off for getting rid of the lease on that dead piece of equipment. It used to be $10/month but too many people bought their own cable modems, and so ATT hiked up the service portion $5/month to offset their losses on lease gear revenue. Bastiches!

I will say that this new cable modem "seems" faster on page refreshes/openings, so I'm even happier to have been forced to make the upgrade.

2. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

And for some reason, it appears ATTBI's DNS is down, been down for over 6 hours now. Grr...surfing the HTF via dial-up.

Update: ATTBI just got their DNS to start working again. Yay!

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I just bought the same outboard modum. Will have the cable set up Monday. Finally, I'll be speeding along with the rest of you.