Bought a Denon 5900, have ?'s

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Carter, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Mike Carter

Mike Carter Agent

Hi, anyone have a real good handle on the Denon 5900 uni-DVD player? I bought one and just received it yesterday. The build date is August 2003 though which seems odd. Were there any updates after this build date I should be concerned with? I will be hooking it up to a Sim 2 HT 300 Link DLP projector ISF calibrated in a few weeks when I move into my new home but for the time being I will be looking at it on a BenQ 8700+. I read the owners manual and am confused on a few things concerning set up. Since I will be useing the DVI input on the Sim2 for HD DirecTV and do not have a DVI switcher yet I will use the Component outputs only for DVD.

What are some suggestions/tips with the picture settings in the 5900?
    What does Progressive Mode Auto 1, 2 mean?
    Any Picture Quality adjustment tips?
    My DLP will be ISF'd so should these just stay at the Factory Default settings?
    Set up Level 0IRE or 7.5 IRE?

I will be useing the new McIntosh MX135 pre-pro if that matters but plan on hooking up the 5900 video direct to the Sim2. Correct?

THANKS in Advance, Mike Carter

2. RM Haney

RM Haney Extra

"The build date is August 2003 though which seems odd."

No wonder it was so cheap!!! Just kidding. Tonight should be interesting. A new projector and a new DVD player neither of us knows how to use. Should be a great time. I got the projector mounted last night and aligned. Everything is looking great. I think I have room for more seating so that is next on the list. Still need to do some touch-up painting.

Mike

3. Mike Carter

Mike Carter Agent

Hey RM, are you enjoying my 5900? How about I bring over my mcIntosh Pre-Pro and McIntosh amps too since I can't use them yet!

4. RM Haney

RM Haney Extra

Don't you mean MY 5900? Possesion is 9/10 of the law. Bring the Mac stuff over. I will get it broken in for you! Seriously, I have enjoyed having the opportunity to use your 5900. I will be buying either a 3910 or a 2910 as soon as they become more widely available and we find out what bugs they have. I ordered a 35 foot DVI cable and hopefully it will be here before you repossess the 5900. My HD satellite receiver and OTA antenna get installed on the 25th (if I still have a house to install it on after Ivan). I guess that means I need a DVI switcher.

Mike