What's new

Bought 65" Mitsubishi this weekend and need help ASAP! (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Malto

Auditioning
Here is the story.. I went to best buy this weekend and bought the new Mitsubishi WS-65315 65" HD-Ready Rear-Projection TV. My first choice was a 65" Sony but they only had last years model and the display model. The picture of the Mitsu was awsome in the store and I figured it was a great alternative.. Until it was delivered.. The guy's had to take it apart into 4 pieces in order to get it up the 3 flights of stairs in my apartment complex. Once in, they did not calibrate or nothing just turned it on to make sure it worked.. All the colors seem very washed out and the picture is EXTREMELY fuzzy. I have Comcast HD cable and on my 27" Sony it did not look this bad.

I have a technician coming today to "calibrate" the tv free of charge. My question is.. If you guys just plucked down $2500 for a new TV that you were unhappy with, would you have them come get it? Is there any chance the TV could be messed up from having it taken apart and moved like that? I clearly saw the red, green, blue lights and the mirror in the unit so dust possibly could of gotten on them.

Any advice is appreciated. Not sure what I want to do :frowning:

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I would guess that the chance of something being wrecked because of this is near 100%. I can't believe they did this unless RPTVs these days are made to be disassembled. Give the calibrator a chance, they may be able to fix it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What preliminary calibrations have you done? 9 point convergence? 64 point convergence? Have you changed any of the picture settings (contrast, brightness, etc.)? How is your HD cable box connected to your TV?

-Robert

Jonathan Malto

Auditioning
Robert,

Comcast HD receiver box is hooked up via a gold DVI cable directly into the TV. I have played with the contrast, brightness, color, sharpness with little to no luck. I have tried every picture setting possible.. Only thing I can think of is something needs to be configured on my comcast box to get the picture up to par. Since this is a new TV there is little info on it right now. The calibrator is at my house now, I will wait and see what he says and report back. I bought AVIA from Amazon so I will see what that comes up with as well.

I just wanted peace of mind knowing nothing was messed up during the transport of the TV set.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
It's mildly possible that some dust could be on the mirrors or CRT lenses affecting the picture slightly, but its far more likely that the convergence is just out which is really no big deal.

It didn't sound like you have gotten into the convergence setting which is often not in the same area as black and white levels, tint and contrast.

There should be at least a 9 point convergence in the user menu, and a pro callibrator will be able to do a more advanced 64 point (or beyond AFAIK) as well as adjusting any gain issues, etc.

My guess is that this callibrator will just do the basics like convergence and won't go for optimizing things like the individual color gains and stuff a true ISF certified pro will do.

In short he should have the picture back on par with what you saw in the store, and that picture is actually not nearly as good as a pro could really get it.

For the record, having worked as an engineer for a TV manufacturer myself, I just advised my buddy to take apart a set we got him that won't fit down his stairs. Pro's do it all the time to line the inside with light reducing black felt (or whatever material is best for light absorbtion) and the only real issue is to make sure that you align the screen with the lenses so that they converge correctly and without severe keystoning, focus issues, etc.

And that's what a well designed frame is supposed to do. To me it sounds like Mitsu has prepared for this.

Remember, your TV has been in pieces before and looked okay (or the one in the store did). It's not like they just press these things out complete. :)

Of course I'd feel the same way if I saw my car transmission pulled out or something.

John S

Senior HTF Member
You got the top rated set... Of course you could of gotten a lemon I suppose. But, hang in there just a little longer, I'd think the calibrator will work wonders for you.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I own an older 65" Mits. Is your digital cable Box a hi def box? If so look at the hidef channels how do they look. I can tell you as a Mits owner that Standard Def Digital or analog cable does'nt look great on the set. It has something to do with the mits Line doubler being not that great. However Hi Def Cable and DVD's look stellar on a properly calibrated set. The Old Addage garbage in, garbage out applies. I use my set mainly for Hi Def TV on Comcast theres quite a bit, or DVD's so I never felt an issue with SD television, that might be different for you.

Jonathan Malto

Auditioning
Thanks guys, the picture has improved 10 fold since this post. I think the picture tube broke in a little better and I calibrated the TV last night using AVIA. My wife even noticed the drastic difference of how it looked before and after.

A large part of the problem was my cable strength was not that great either, but for some reason it is looking better every day. The comcast box I have is an HD one and the HD channels look like awsome.

I thought of sending the TV back for the 65" Toshiba, but I am not sure it is worth the extra 700 clams to do the swap. For my first big screen TV I think I made a pretty decent choice.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan,
See your other thread for my answer. It appears you calibrated(I was thinking you hadn't).

For further improvements, I would consider removing the screen protector, further adjusting your perfect color menu(especially the red), and also make suer your convergence is dead on(both 9 point and 64).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks