Bottom/New Statesman?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Zimmer, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I really liked the bonus first episode of Bottom that was on the Young Ones set from Warner/BBC in R1 and thought I'd see what was on R2 for this series and others. All I'm finding are a "Best of" disc for Bottom and a number of live shows. Anyone have experience with these? Worth the time?

Also, I've never seen The New Statesman, again Rik Mayall, but the description of it looks like it'd be pretty entertaining. Opinions on this one? Or would it be all lost on a poor unwashed American?

2. Armand G

Armand G Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mark,

Bottom is hilarious. I own all episodes on vhs. Highly recommended. Sadly there are only 5 episodes (the best of bottom)on dvd. In total there are 18 episodes if I remember correctly.

The live shows of bottom are also very entertaining but not quite up to par with the tv series as far as I am concerned. Recommended.

The new statesman is also very amusing, but it's a totally different kind of humor. Not as hilarious as bottom. I don't care for it that much to have the dvd.

Armand

3. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Thanks, Armand. Are the Bottom live shows just live versions of the television programs, or are they new material? I don't think I'll go for the 'best of' since one of the 5 episodes on it is already on The Young Ones disc & hope for the full series on DVD as it is on VHS.

4. Armand G

Armand G Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mark,

The live shows are different material. I am also waiting until the lauch the whole tv series on dvd. Till that time i'll be watching my videotapes.

Greetz
    Armand

5. Frederic_A

Frederic_A Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like another example of British television DVDs lagging far behind, even in their own market! There isn't even a comprehensive set of R2 Monty Python episodes out yet. All you see are these 'best of' discs... The BBC for one are just achingly slow in getting their shows out on DVD. Case in point: The Fast Show, which only yet has the first Season out, aside from the rather less interesting "Last Fast Show" ever... and I'm still waiting for Harry Enfield and Chums.
    Sorry, couldn't resist a rant [​IMG]

6. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator