What's new

Bottle Rocket needs to be released by Criterion (1 Viewer)

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this for the first time and it was friggin hilarious!!!!

I was bummed to find no extras of any kind. Anyone going to re-release this and give it the same treatment as Rushmore and RT?

MatS

Screenwriter
Anyone going to re-release this and give it the same treatment as Rushmore and RT?
if only I had the power

"Okay. There, you see the star is me, right there, and I'll be in there. The X is Anthony. Bob, you're the zero out here in the car"

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
This just got price dropped to about $14
I'm so tempted to pick this up.
I love this movie.
A Criterion edition would be very nice, and its been long rumored.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Rushmore and The Royal Tennebaums were both distributed by Buena Vista. To the best of my knowledge the only major studios that have licensed titles to Criterion for DVD release have been Buena Vista, MGM, and Universal Pictures. There are any number of Criterion LD releases that are now distributed on DVD by the originating studios, but not Criterion.
Bottle Rocket was distributed by Columbia Tri-Star. Unless they change their DVD policy, the home video rights are picked up by a studio willing to play ball with Criterion, or they make an exception for Anderson's film; I wouldn't hold my breath for a Criterion treatment of this title. To date, none of the Columbia Tri-Star titles, including those formerly released on LD by Criterion, have received DVD releases by Criterion.
- Walter.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Let's hope new things are in the wind for studios and Criterion. Rumor is that Fox has struck a deal, and wouldn't it be wonderful if this led to Sony making a similar deal? In one fell swoop we could close out both the Anderson trilogy (with Bottle Rocket) and Gilliam's Ages of Man trilogy (with Baron Munchausen)... in fact, they could also, in the spirit of their Fear & Loathing disc, tackle Gilliam's other literary adaptation, Jabberwocky!

A fella can dream, can't he?

Still hoping for a Criterion Meaning of Life (which could happen, see Life of Brian),

CS

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Well, Peter Staddon said in the recent chat that three titles (but probably more) were coming to DVD in 2003, but not from Fox as members of the board would be "very excited".

Seeing as they were Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha, Robert Altman's 3 Women and Russ Meyer's Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Criterion seems the logical conclusion.

And Bottle Rocket seems very possible indeed, as Criterion reached "an agreement" with Sony to allow their Holy Grail laserdisc director's commentary onto the DVD, and we still haven't seen Criterion's end of the bargain yet. Wes Anderson himself stated that there would be Criterion DVD's of Bottle Rocket and The Royal Tenenbaums a while ago, and that his brother Eric would design the artwork for both of them, just like Rushmore.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Seeing as they were Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha, Robert Altman's 3 Women and Russ Meyer's Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Criterion seems the logical conclusion.
I think we might be jumping the gun a bit here. It seems to me that Anchor Bay is a far more likely candidate by virtue of their existing relationship with Fox.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i mistakenly thought Bottle Rocket was offically annouced a few months ago, and sold my disc :-(

pretty stupid of me, actually, since the video quality was really good for an older disc (while so many other higher profile discs from 1997-1999 look poor on my display).

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Jean-Michel,

I think we might be jumping the gun a bit here. It seems to me that Anchor Bay is a far more likely candidate by virtue of their existing relationship with Fox.
What can you tell me about this? I was aware of Universal and Disney titles released through Anchor Bay but was unaware of any FOX titles released in that manner. This is exciting news!!

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Not to be against Criterion but what advantages does it serve people like Fox to give the rights away and make some money when they can do it themselves and make all the money?
Thanks

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
laserdisc director's commentary onto the DVD, and we still haven't seen Criterion's end of the bargain yet.
What makes you think the "agreement" involved some kind of movie trade or future licensing deal? Criterion's end could have been in the form of a large check and future royalties from Holy Grail, in which case there will be no Sony film released by them as a quid pro quo. I also think it is dangerous to generalize about anything involving Python, since they're in the unusual position of owning their series and films. They could have insisted that Sony and Criterion make a deal on the laserdisc commentary.

It is my understanding that the problem with getting Criterion extras onto studio-made DVDs has always been Criterion's refusal to license their original LD material back to the studios - a fairly self-defeating policy given that LD is dead and they can't release the films on DVD themselves.

Regards,

Joe

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well back to bottle rocket.

i just watched it yesterday.
i really like rushmore and royal tennenbaums.

but i'm not a big fan of this one.
it was mildly amusing. and was a good movie to watch .
i would suggest any fan of wes anderson should watch bottle rocket, but i doint see this being criterion worthy.

maybe a regular special ed.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i would suggest any fan of wes anderson should watch bottle rocket, but i doint see this being criterion worthy
i may be a bit biased here. as much as i like wes andersons films (all of them would be on a top 10 or 15 for me), i think bottle rocket outshines them all. as personal as rushmore is, and as raw as TRT can be, i think bottle rocket is a better film, and a wonderful freshman effort. and criterion worthy? lets just say that criterion makes my argument easy, as they deemed the rock and armageddon criterion 'worthy'.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks