What's new

Both of Nintendo's 1st party games & Sega's game receive GOLD in Famitsu. (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
This really is a big deal for Nintendo. Especially when you consider they'll also have Rouge Leader for their US launch.
This will almost certainly guarantee strong sales in Japan (as if that was ever a doubt). With PS2 just begining to pick up steam in its homeland we're in for an interesting battle there too.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
People have called Luigi's Mansion a bad game because of its style of gameplay, yet a huge Japanese gaming magazine gives it a Gold award. Once again, Nintendo delivers (as does Sega).
This is the first time that something has been said about the next-gen consoles that didn't surprise me (surprising could be good or bad). I could have seen this happening.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Oh, I also forgot to mention that Super Smash Bros. Melee is extremely likely to be a super smash hit, too, in both Japan and around the world. I'm also very optimistic about Eternal Darkness upon recently learning some more information on this game. (not sure how Japan will receive that one, though) Also, I'm becoming confident that Metroid is going to twist people's asses on their face. :)
Sorry, I'm just blabbing on now.
-Dan
not into fighting games
[Edited last by Dan B on September 12, 2001 at 08:46 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Super Smash Brothers: Melee will definitely be a huge hit everywhere. It might be more of an update to the first game, but the first game was so fun that nobody cares.
I think Zelda, Mario, and Metroid will be better than anyone thinks right now. They had to keep changing the course of Metroid in order to make sure it came out good, so Nintendo is definitely making sure it doesn't screw up its franchise.
Nintendo is just awesome (as is Sega and Squaresoft, generally). I'm not a fan boy of Nintendo, but I have the most confidence in them to deliver the goods.

Drew Dockery

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only one looking forward to Pikmin? True, we don't know a whole lot about it yet, but from what I have seen I'm really intrigued.
Drew

paul h

Supporting Actor
Here are the scores:
Luigi's Mansion - 34/40
Super Monkey Ball - 32/40
WaveRace - 32/40
32 aint a bad score but i had hoped for better from WaveRace...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Had Wave Race not been a sequel and been so much like the first one, then it probably would have gotten a better score.
Nonetheless, its gold. Not as good as Final Fantasy X did, but its gold.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Drew,
I can't wait for Pikmin as well. It looks inovative and that's what I want from Nintendo.
-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Nonetheless, its gold. Not as good as Final Fantasy X did, but its gold.
Who gives a fuck about Final Fantasy X. Personally I am sick and tired of the same game being rehased over and over and over again. Wait this one has a collectable card mini game, alright heres my $60, this one has a water polo like game, great i love water polo heres my $70. I think you get my point. This thread is about GCN games, not FF. Ok sorry about the rant, just sick and tired of FF, people claiming FF is the gaming god, etc. FF is in all one thing HYPE! why not play something truely different, something like Super Monkey Ball, Samba de Amigo(w/ miracas), hell i can't wait until REZ comes out a musical/shooter game that will be great.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Many people care about Final Fantasy--it's the first PS2 title to reach the 2 million mark in sells over in Japan.
~T

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Whats a PS2?
laugh.gif

-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think it's those funky machines IBM replaced the AT with. Really drove people nuts, since they had those tiny little drives which regular discs wouldn't fit into.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
PS2 "pee*sss*too" - n - elongated overly hyped black videogame machine which promised to be the shit, but so far has put out mostly shit. But the future looks brighter with such titles as Devil May Cry, MGS2, and a game directly from heaven Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3.

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
After reading lots of Famitsu reviews over the years, I personally don't really trust them when it comes to the big titles - they tend to really fall for hype.
Who gives a fuck about Final Fantasy X. Personally I am sick and tired of the same game being rehased over and over and over again.
I understand your sentiments about it. I had doubts about FFX as well but i still got it nonetheless. Yes, it's very linear for most of the game; yes, it mostly has the same elements of the previous FF games - but after playing it for 40+ hours, i can say it's different enough to be pretty compelling, and the story is really good and actually has some substance. I think FF VIII and FF IX especially were rehashes, some products that were hastily cranked out to make money. But FFX is overall remarkably fresh, and it does seem like more time and effort was put into it.
------------------

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
In case you don't know, I love Final Fantasy and Nintendo (though I'm not a Nintendo fanboy).
Final Fantasy games aren't rehashes. If you had completed any of them, then you would know that. They have recurring themes and elements, but each story, setting, battle system, and cast of characters (besides the names of a few characters) is different. Each game has a different overlying theme such as "love" or "the meaning of life" and is usually told by a very intelligent means.
The games also have a level of artistry that no other game developer has been able to touch. The music for some of the FF games is excellent. Overall, each one is amazing in its own.
Some say FF8 and 9 were rehashes but they weren't. People say they were because they were 3-D with 2-D backgrounds, but there is nothing else linking them (and if there is, then anybody who has played any FF games besides FF7-9 would understand why they are there). FFX got a 39/40 from Famitsu. It did better than Luigi's Mansion, WaveRace: Blue Storm, and Monkey Ball. Thats all I was pointing out. I'm sure all 4 games will be great.
I'm sick and tired of people praising Tony Hawk games. I have THPS2 for PSX, and it is good, but its pretty much THPS1 with added people and levels. The gameplay doesn't change and the graphics didn't get much better. Another thing that I'm sick and tired of is people who assume too much. Sony promised a gaming console with great graphical capabilities and great games such as FFX, MGS2, etc. but never promised good launch titles or anything else that people don't like about it.
And please don't bash the FF series since you appear to not know much about it. I don't bash wrestling games, even though I think they totally suck, for the pure fact that I don't know anything about them or even play them.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Then again, I have played skateboarding games. I don't play wrestling games. You should read everything I say before you try to prove me wrong.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Who gives a fuck about Final Fantasy X. Personally I am sick and tired of the same game being rehased over and over and over again.
Thank you!!
The Final Fantasy games are a prime example of graphics over gameplay. I love to look at them but get bored after a few minutes of "playing". Not that there's much actual playing anyway...it's a series that rewards persistance over skill and practice. Not my cup of tea.
I realize this is a much loved series so don't take my OPINIONS as an attack upon a holy video game.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks