What's new

BOTH Exorcist Prequels to be Released on DVD (1 Viewer)

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
I've managed to get ahold of a copy of the Schrader film novelization. I'll post my thoughts once I'm finished.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I've said it before: I passed on seeing this at the theatre expecting to buy the DVD to see both versions. Since they're only releasing the theatrical they are losing my money twice.

-paul

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

So if Matt has the Schrader version that means it will get released in some form done the road. Matt, is this an advance promo you have?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I heard this too when the film was released, I think it's a done deal and that we will see Shrader's version.

It's my only hope for liking this film.

I walked out of Harlin's theatrical (not walked out, walked out after it was over) version with nothing but contempt for what I just witnessed.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Seems like there are so many threads on this where I'm sounding like a broken record, but I think Harlin's version - while not great - was better than I ever thought it would be, based on all the pre-release prejudice against it before it even hit the screens.

Now the reverse seems to be happening for Schrader's version. I'm anxious to see it too, but it feels like it's already pre-judged to be good before anyone's seen it, and that's often based on a desire to counter Warner's original tactic of wanting to suppress it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ha ha, I can hear those ads now,

narrarator: "You think you know the beginning? Get ready to see the beginning which began before the beginning you saw which isn't the real beginning."

Title: The Exorcist: The Beginning Before The Beginning

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Or: The Version You Should Have Seen But We Thought It Sucked And Ordered Something That Turned Out To Be Worse.
Well, maybe that will be a little long for a poster...

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator

Oh, I don't have the film itself, just the novelization of Schrader's cut.

As for title, I wouldn't be surprised if they just went with the original William Wisher "Exorcist: Dominion" tag.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
See, Warner was already setting a precedent for this last year. This will be called Exorcist: The Beginning - The Paul Scrader Director's Cut.

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabien Renelli
Paul Scharder's DOMINION will be edited in october on R2 UK DVD in a box set which will contain THE EXORCIST ('73 cut), EXORCIST II : THE HERETIC, EXORCIST III : LEGION, EXORCIST : THE BEGINNING and EXORCIST : DOMINION. Let's just wait it comes to R1 now...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully R1 will get this as well. Maybe remaster the original disc to include both versions.

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabien Renelli
Nope. Still the same cut for EXORCIST III. I didn't even know there was an alternate cut... Is this a curse or all THE EXORCIST movies have each at least two cuts ???

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
DVD Review just spilled the news: Paul Schrader's original cut is coming to DVD October 25 from Warner Home Video! It will be released under the title "Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist". Here's the link:

http://www.dvdreview.com/html/news.html

Now if we could only get Richard Donner's original version of "Superman II" officially released onto DVD, I'll be one extremely happy camper indeed!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Exorcist III was forced to be re-cut and re-shot by the geniuses at Morgan Creek to add the whole exorcism storyline (you'll note that it hardly interacts with the rest of the movie at all), which was a grave miscalculation. Blatty has said he'd like to revisit it but so far nothing has happened as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks