BOTH Exorcist Prequels to be Released on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Weinberg, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

2. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I would rather see a movie that is a good horror movie than a slasher flick which it seems Morgan Creek wants.
    I want to see the original.

Studios make few scary movies for adults anymore, studios tend to go for the gore.
    Maybe they will learn their lesson.

3. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

I really hope this comes to pass. This would be pretty fascinating and I would buy it for that alone, especially if both feature commentary tracks.

4. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

This is an awesome and even rational solution. How would they package it? Exorcist Zero and Exorcist Zero: The Version You Were Never Gonna See? [​IMG]

Needless to say, I'd check it out.

5. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Yes! This is great news! I was really annoyed when they decided to scrap Schrader's version, so I really hope they go through with this!

6. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Maybe they'll release it like one of Warner's double feature discs, like House of Wax or Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

7. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

Now all we need is a 16x9 enhanced orignal Exorcist and we'll be cooking with gasoline!

8. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I hope they release both versions, but some how I doubt that we will ever see Schrader's version. In other words, I'm not holding my breat, but it sure would be nice.

9. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Considering it's been a long time since Schrader made a bad movie, and I can't say the same for Harlin, this horror buff is quite pleased with Morgan Creek's decision.

If Warner gives it the go ahead, they've got my money. If they don't, they won't get more than a rental from me.

10. Tim-H.

Tim-H. Second Unit

I agree, this is a really interesting development. I was quite interested in the prequels first incarnation, not so much by the re-shot version.

Funny how filmmakers nowadays can shoot scenes knowing if they're cut, there's always the DVD (or like LOTR, know from the get-go the scenes are for an extended DVD version). And now a studio can scrap a director, a script, half the cast and an entire first cut and say, "There's always the DVD."

Is this a happy compromise, or will it lead to more second-guessing of a directors vision? Stay tuned, I guess...

11. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Count me in among those really happy with these developments. I always wondered what the same film would be like with 2 different actors or 2 different directors, now I can find out!

12. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I hope this happens. this would be an interesting way of comparing two different visions of the same film.

13. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

I also hope that this could happen. Has there ever been another case where a movie was essentially completed and then totally re-made(new script, new director, new actors, etc.) a second time(not just some re-shoots)before it was released?

It seems to me that this movie is going to have to do very well at the box office to cover the production costs of the theatrical release version and the scrapped original movie that was made.

I'd love to have the opportunity to see both versions on DVD.

14. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck

I believe all three DVD releases of the original Exorcist (barebones, 25th anniv., VYNS) have been 16:9 enhanced. I know the latter two were, at least.

Well, nothing's set in stone, here, but if this were to happen, then it might salvage this whole debacle. At any rate, it's interesting that Schrader is contractually owed a "preview and a screening" of his version. So, they've got to show it sometime somewhere.

I really hope this works out.

15. JonBoriss

JonBoriss Stunt Coordinator

I will really be surprised if this actually happens. If it does I think they would be smart to package them together.

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I don't know as it's entirely unusual. I remember The Fantasticks languished for a long time because MGM was contracturally obligated to give it a theatrical release before dumping it on video.

17. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

All versions of The Exorcist released thus far have been anamorphic.

18. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I really hope this comes to pass. From a $ point of view it would make sense for Warner to release both.

19. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    HorrorDVDs.com reports that the Schrader cut will not be on the DVD containing the Harlin cut.

20. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Yep. Why release a bomb once when you can release another version later on with a "bonus feature" like the Schrader's take, and effectively sell the same thing twice?

I'd do it. Considering the money lost on this film, double dipping would actually seem to be the responsible thing to do.