What's new

Boston VR965--will the powerecd woofs be a prob (1 Viewer)

Jeff_PxR

Stunt Coordinator
If I get these speakers and have another powered subwoofer, will they intreact in any detrimental way? I am considering the SVS 12 inch sub. Thanks!

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Hi Jeff, I had the same exact issues that you had. I was originally going to buy the vr950 and get an svs down the road, for now I was going to just use my boston pv600 sub, which sounds very good by the way. I then heard the 965s and they sounded soooo much better than the 950's. they are a true 3-way speaker and are very dynamic. My issue was that I thought the the powered subs in them would be a waste if i did not send the lfe to them. When i brought them home i could not deny the sound though, they sounded great. I went back and auditioned the 950 more critically but they came up waaaay short. I still thought i was wasting the powered subs in them though. So what i did was was hooked up the speakers normally and sent the lfe to the sub only. I then set the the speakers to large on the receiver. It sounds simply amazing for home theater and music. The "subs" in those speakers really are not true subs to me. I just call it a powered woofer. A lot of people say to set towers to small in HT applications but these towers can go down to 29hz so they can handle being set to large without a problem. And the fact that they are powered will take strain off of your receiver by not having to handle as much bass. I played around at setting them to large and small and set to large just sounded so much more dynamic and powerful. I keep it set to large for music too. they really shine with music in this way. unless you listen to very bass heavy music i think you will see what i mean. Anyway play around with them and see what you like best. Boston make fantastic speakers and I think it is sad that they do not get the recognition that paradigm, klipsch, b&w......etc get around here. I think the boston sound is much more cleaner and natural sounding than many of those speakers which I auditioned against them. However that is my ears, everyone hears differently. I'll end my pathetic rant now :). Good luck on whatever you choose. If I can be of more help let me know, I don't think there are a lot of 965 owners on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks