Boston VR-MX Surrounds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Schiller, Sep 25, 2001.

1. David_Schiller

Any opinions? I have Boston T1030 LR, and VR-23 C speakers. I currently have Infinity bookshelf rear speakers(monopolar). I plan on buying the Onkyo 989 (130W, 7.1 THX Ultra) receiver. I'd like to use the Infinity speakers as surround back and get new surround speakers. I'm trying to decide between the Boston VR-MX and the Boston VRS (100W max capability). My system will be used about 60% for home theater and 40% for music.

2. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Use the speakers that can handle the most power. It would be more expensive in the long run to get inadequate speakers then have to get new ones.

3. John Schmiedt

Hi David,
    I currently have the VR-MXs and before that had the VRS's for my rears. Unfortunately my room is far from ideal because I have no side wall on the right, so I have to mount my speakers in the rear. I have to say that the VR-MX is a much better speaker for my room. Fuller range and a much more pleasing sound for DD and DTS. But alot of that I think also has to do with the shape for my situation. The VRMXs just throw the sound out better for my room. If I could mount them on the side I'm not sure there would be that great of a difference. They are both great speakers. I suppose I would still go for the MX's if price is no object.
    Doesn't seem like there are many Boston fans in this forum. I have Bostons all around & like 'em. You wouldn't want a VR10 center channel would you? I upgraded all around when I got my Wega and replaced the VR10 with a 920. My old TV wasn't big enough for a large center. I've sold all the other speakers except the VR10s now.
    John

4. David_Schiller

Thanks for the response. I actually had a typo in my original post. My center channel is the VR-12 (paid $400 about 6 years ago), which I love. I also really like my T1030s, which is why I want to stick with Boston (even though I have the Hsu VTF-2 sub).
    My room is also not ideal: about 16' long x 13' wide with a cathedral ceiling and french doors preventing speaker mounting on all but the last 3' of one side. Should I mount my (relatively inexpensive) direct Infinity speakers in the rear (surround rear) and put the Boston VR-MX surrounds on the side walls 3' from the rear wall? This will put the surround and rear surround speakers fairly close together, but I don't have much choice. I'm thinking it would be best to use the (much) better speaker as the surround rather than the surround back.
    Is the VR-MX a dipolar or bipolar speaker (embarrassed I don't know the difference)? Will it work O.K. without a normal height ceiling to bounce off the sound?

5. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

I have the VR-MX surrounds and I'm happy with them. Sound & Vision reviewed them (with the VR975, VR920 and VR-M/EX) in the May 2001 issue. They called the VR-MX a semi-dipole design because it has one woofer and one passive radiator. The VR-MX speakers can be mounted with the passive radiators toward the listeners for diffuse sound, or you can swap left and right speakers so the woofers are toward the listeners for more direct sound. I think that the Infinity speakers would be ok as back surrounds. If you want to use the back surrounds for multichannel music it would be best to use direct radiators that match the front speakers. See THX Ultra2 article