What's new

Boston VR-B vs CR-85 (1 Viewer)

billybob_jcv

Stunt Coordinator
I have heard the Boston Acoustics VR-B and really enjoyed them. My dealer didn't have any CR-85s to compare against, and the CR-67s he did have were mounted high on the back wall as surrounds, so I couldn't directly compare them against the VRs. I know the technical differences between the VR & CR series (aluminum vs kortec tweeter, etc) - but can someone tell me if they sound similar enough (that Boston sound!) that I might be able to save $250 by going with the CRs, or are they a completely different sound? Also, has anyone had any luck mixing VR mains with a CR center (or vice-versa)? Thanks!

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I auditioned the VR-M60 and VR-M50 before going with the CR85. All of them have that "Boston sound". The VR may have been a little more detailed, but the CR85 had a more full sound. I saved the extra money and went with the CR85 and couldn't be happier. I then put the extra cash into a VRC center. This one is a noticable improvement over the CRC.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I have Boston VR series all around.....VR3, VR920 (center), and Micro 90's.......(not really "VR" but same aluminum tweeter). I compared them a great deal with the CR and VRM series. I think the the new VR series (VR1,2,3 and VRB) are really starting to catch up with the VRM series. The CR's are very nice but to me the money is better spent going the VrB route. The sound will be more detailed and they will sound more full and go a bit lower. When paired with a good sub the VRB sounds almost as ggood as the top of the line VR3's.......just not as full. I personaly would keep the soundstage on the front 3 to match. I would not mix the soft dome tweeter with the aluminum tweeter. With movies you will notice a slight difference but with music (muti channel) the difference will be quite noticeable. If you already have a CRC than maybe you might want to go the Cr route for the mains to save cash from also getting a center. If not than I say it is worth the upgrade to the VR series. Good luck.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
I have many CR speakers, including the 85s, and have been very happy with them. The 85s are particularly good on the low end (as are the 95s, which I also have). Your challenge will be finding them, since they're discontinued.

I do look to the VR series every so often, out of curiosity, but I no longer have a nearby retailer to audition. And besides, I'm too heavily invested in CRs. But if you're prone to the upgrade thing, consider spending the money up front for the VRs. Otherwise, CRs are very good.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 7.1 system consisting of six CR-75's and one VRC. I tried the CRC, but found it too weak for my liking. To me the VRC blends very well with the CR-75's. I use my system mainly for movies/sports, but I do like to listen to hi-rez music from time to time from my Denon 2900.

Good Luck, Alan Wise

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks