Boston Sub or SVS?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I listen to mostly music. Should I go with a boston or an SVS? I know everyone raves about SVS, but are they as accurate as a boston?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    What does the system consist of as far as electronics (how will the sub be hooked-up) and speakers and what is the room like? SVS of course sells consumer direct so price-wise it's likely to be a better value than many things out there. Any speaker or sub is dependend on the way one uses it with what, the room, the type of music you like. I've only heard one Boston sub ($500 list one) in a setting other than a store that I could really evaluate it and it was pretty good for home theater in a smallish room and not the most music friendly in the world that I've heard. So I guess it depends on the model as well as both Boston and SVS have lots of choices.

3. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Jesse,

I'm a big fan of Boston's speakers (especially their VR-M line), and a former owner of their PV1000 subwoofer. I went with an SVS 20-39PC+. If you care, I was so impressed with the 20-39 I wrote a piece on the upgrade process: http://www.robbroy.net/HT/SVSReview.cfm.

-Robb

4. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

No question: SVS. The PV1000 is a nice sub, but it isn't up to the task of home theater in any but the smallest rooms. There's just so much output you can get from a 10" woofer in a small cabinet. It's about the physics.

5. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Well I want a VERY VERY musical sub for music. Very accurate for music. I dont want a sloppy sub. But when I play movies I want it also to be accurate but I want it to be relativly loud but not too crazy. But most importantly I want it to be accurate. I will be listening mostly to music.

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I didn't think there was any such animal.. "musical sub". I want a flat response with minimal distortion in a sub hence, sounds great with music & movies. I run an SV PB2+

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

SVS does not make a sloppy sub. In those rare occasions that I do listen to music I just pull the calibration back on the receiver side. Very tight and accurate I assure you and thats with three 25-31CS+'s running. This is a calculated misconception that has been put out there by a few generally speaking. 99.9% of all SVS users will vouch for their accuracy and many have much/extensive experience with other brands.

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The SVS is a fine sub that's been quite favorably reviewed and the company has been extraordinarily responsive in dealing with customer issues even when the customer or other sources is clearly at fault. That said, in your quest for accuracy etc. what do you plan on doing about the room and speaker placements in order to arrive at this accuracy? Certainly a room can take the best of equipment and render it rather horrific, no?

BTW, I don't own one but these are clearly bright people designing their equipment at very competitive price points.

9. Paul_Ptaaty

Paul_Ptaaty Stunt Coordinator

Chu is right on,

SVS is very accurate and musical. A far bigger concern that which sub is more musical will be fixing your room and EQing to get a flat response.

Un eq'ed bass (assuming you don't have flat response from placement, using two+ )will sound boomy, but when you have a flat response, the bass will tighten up and sound much more musical and clean.

10. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

I have the Boston PV600 on my mainly music system. The sub is very smooth and accurate. My wife, who is a music teacher, is very happy with this set-up for all types of music.

Also, for HT, it has more than enough power to shake everything on the shelves of my 15x22 room and I don't turn it up past mid way.

Never listened to the SVS, so I can't comment there.