Boston Question. VR Owners, what are you using as surrounds.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I have been doing some research and the only matching speakers I can find are either towers or VRS bipole surrounds. Does anyone use CR series speakers or Micros or what about VRM's? I think VRM's would be over kill but for a pair of CR 65's be ok? I have VR-950's up front.

2. Michael Langdon

Michael Langdon Stunt Coordinator

I have older Boston VR30 tower fronts and surrounds with a VR12 center channel. I recently added surround back speakers to complete my 6.1/7.1 system and decided to go with the Boston Bravo model because they too have the same tweeter as the VR line.

Mike

3. Jesse Sharrow

Hmmmm... how do they do at surround duty with just a 4 1/2?

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Bravo's are very good. I use Micro 90II's for surround duty with my Vr3 fronts and they do very good as well. I would not get too caught up on the size of the bass driver for surrounds. Unless you are doing a lot of multi-channel music I really do not think a small driver is anything to be concerned about. I think the drivers on your 950's are only 5 1/2" and I know they sound very good. Cr's may be good but they do have the soft dome tweeter and won't match.....but again if it is for movies mostly I wouldn't be too concerned about that either because only ambient sounds for the most part are sent to those speakers.

5. SeannO

SeannO Auditioning

It depends on the amount of money that you have. I would definitely try to stay with a surround that has the same driver material. All of the previous recommendations would work well with your 950s. I was recently in the same situation. I needed surrounds to go with my VR-M50s and VR-MC. Since I couldn't shell out the cash for the VR-MXs at the time, was considering the Bravos or a set of Micro 90s. Both sounded very good, but I was leaning towards the Bravos because of there unique shape and placement options. I was then surprised with a gift cert. and was able to get the VR-MX. These are great and, to me, worth the money. But you would not be disappointed with the Bravos or Micros either. I wouldn't be too concerned about driver size unless you listen to a lot of multi-channel music. Good luck.

6. Jesse Sharrow

Well I do listen to a good amount of multi channel music. Thats pretty much what Im building my system for. So maybe I should get another pair of 950's.

7. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Ultimately another pair of 950's would be great....especialy for the prices that you can snag them for right now (if you can find them). However, I think for multi-channel music you should be more conserned about matching tweeters. For multi-channel music, for the most part, most of the detailed "important" info is sent to the fronts while more effects and less pronounced info is sent to the rear. I think this is the case at least.....I do not claim to be very knowledgable on multi-channel music so maybe somebody else can chime in[​IMG].

8. Brandon WB

Brandon WB Extra

I also have a similar setup:
    Fronts BA vr-950's
    Center CRC
    Sorrounds CR75's
    Yamaha rxv-1300
    B&K ref amp 200.3 (fronts & center)
    Toshiba dvd audio player 4800

Multi channel music is good with this setup especially with the new amp. But, going with another pair of 950's in the rear would balance the sound out. As music travels from front to back you definately notice the difference in sound. Although very clear, the tweeter is different and it shows. Side note: Just added the B&K to the fronts and it made a big improvement in clarity & soundtsage in dvd-audio 2 channel music & etc. The yamaha makes a decent pre/pro & use it to power the rears.

Hope this helps some?
    Brandon