Boston Public

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BertFalasco, Oct 29, 2001.

1. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Yo yo yo.. Just watching Boston Public's season premiere.. weird..I see lots of wash up kid actors such as the main character and one of his friends from Freaks and Geeks, also the kid from One World on NBC. Man BP is a great show, the opening theme is great..OK back on..ssshhh..
    -Bert

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Too bad we didn't get to see Jeri's boobs (as that student asked). [​IMG]

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Ewwww!!!
    Spoiler:Jeremy's mom now has a severed right hand which Jeremy brought to school to be dissected by the biology teacher and Jeremy. I have to surmise the severed right hand came from her attempt to get out of her bonds from last season's episode. Yuck! This is just creepy stuff.

4. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

As my friend Aaron is wont to point out, Boston Public has never been extremely realistic, but the second season premiere was just too corny for me. Let's hope next week gets back to some good character stories and they wrap up this Jeremy Peters storyline pronto...
    On the plus side, I think Michael Rappaport will be a great addition to the cast. What happened to Mandy Patankin? I got the impression he was going to join the cast based on his appearance last year.
    = Derek =

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Mandy might be waiting in the wings, when the sweeps shows start to appear. Or maybe not. I would like to see him doing a few episodes if possible.

6. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Who did Mandy play? My Boston Pubic S1 knowledge seems have escaped me on this one.
    I gotta agree - lets wrap up Jeremys storyline. It just seems like a neverending cycle of 'are you going to believe the teacher or the parent' and its gotten a little stale.
    For me, at least.
    Otherwise, a good opener. And Michael Rappaport is going to be a good addition I think. On top of that I've been hearing his voice all weekend while playing GTA III
    JQ

7. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I love Boston Public, but that episode wasn't quite as good as I was expecting.
    I assume a severed head will be showing up some point on this show.
    ------------------

8. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Typicaly David E. Kelly junk... I hope it doesn't get too Ally McBeal. I agree that the Spoiler:stump theme is kind of corny. Be gone plot line!
    Honestly, I don't see why people find Jerri that hot. I mean, yes, she's good looking. But I find the Lauren Davis character to me more attractive.
    Maybe it's just a Trekkie thing. =)

9. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Don, what is it about David E. Kelley's shows that you find to be "junk"? I think his shows can be unique, which won't please all the viewers all the time, but this is a good thing. However, I can see your point about being "too Ally McBeal." I like Ally McBeal a lot, because it's silly and has odd flights of fancy. The characters occasionally have great moments as well. I began to like Boston Public because it presented current issues with a slate of well-written and entertaining characters. Sure, the show exaggerates, but if it ever got to the level of Ally McBeal... well, it wouldn't be Boston Public.
    If I recall correctly, he was a father who had a home-school child he wanted to graduate with the rest of the class. Harper worked out a deal with him for teaching services due to the shortage they had throughout the end of season one.
    = Derek =
    P.S. I just remembered that during the opening credits, I asked my friend Aaron if we should start a pool on who was going to get fired first this season. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Derek Miner on October 30, 2001 at 06:34 AM]

10. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I actually liked the last season of Boston Public.
    Half way into the show, I asked, "What show am I watching?!"
    Jeri Ryan's first scene was a shower scene, then they had the hand thing. It was more Jerry Springer than Boston Public.
    I had to suspend disbelief last season about the fact that the school had one good looking teacher (the blonde) and one gorgeous teacher (the black chick who's dealing with the crazy kid. I'm really horrible with names, sorry). Now, they have yet another gorgeous teacher. How come I didn't go to this school?
    I liked Michael Rappaport and the little speech he gave about the "fat girls" club.
    The whole "I'm going to quit law and be a teacher thing" was a little far-fetched. I mean, one horrible day at the school convinces her that she's "not alive?" Ok, whatever.

11. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Derek,
    Let me start out by saying that I love Kelley's "The Practice." I'm eating up the re-runs on FX. However, when I tried to watch Ally McBeal from the pilot on, I couldn't stomach it. It simply was too silly. How many times can Cage take a moment and be funny? Yada yada. I stopped watching about half-way through season one (with 5 shows a week, seasons wiz by in syndication).
    I just see traces of Ally showing up in the season premiere of BP. I still enjoyed the show .. but hope it doesn't degenerate into Ally. The hand thing was just too much.
    Don

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor