Boston Public loses Lauren and Louisa

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Neither Rashida Jones (Louisa) or Jessalyn Gilsig (Lauren) will be returning to Boston Public this fall. In their place are two guys: John Abrahams (Scary Movie) and Joey McIntire (the singer from New Kids on the Block).

2. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Lauren was the only reason I tuned in for one or two episodes each season... guess not anymore.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

That's too bad, but understandable; neither had a whole lot to do last year.

Saying "in their place" is sort of disingenuous, though - I don't really think that Jeri Ryan and Michael Rappaport "replaced" Thomas McCarthy and Joey Slotnick, for instance. David Kelley has been pretty canny about shuffling the cast of this show to keep it interesting.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Are they going to make "guest" appearances so that in some way they can be written out? Or will it just be like they never existed?

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I can understand Louisa, but didn't Lauren and the VP have some kind of thing going on between them?

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Joey McIntire??....Joey McIntire???

7. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

They'll probably just say they moved on and got other jobs or something. Being that it's a tv show about teachers in a high school, it would make sense that they left during the summer.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

With Lauren leaving, it just might drive Guber over the edge.

9. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Any idea if they're leaving, or if they got, ummm, 'invited to leave?'

10. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Smell this shoe!

11. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Guber and lauren never had anything he only wants her. I have always thought she pitys him (like the opera date) I now know for a faxt I wont be watching it anymore. I cannot fricking stand joey mcintire. guess ill have to watch fear factor (which isnt much better)

12. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

The show went to hell right after Joey Slotnick was fired. [​IMG]

13. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

14. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

[​IMG] no actually i missed the last couple episodes.. hehe guess i missed something? the show got alittle boring for me at the end... I loved the first season though. someone wanna fill me in?? please[​IMG]

15. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I guess I'll put this in spoilers just in case....

If I remember correctly after Harry Senate was stabbed Lauren did not want to be alone. She approached Guber and asked if he would sleep with her. Once Senate was out of the woods she went back to Guber and told him that she didn't have the same reason for wanting Guber to sleep with her but she was still interested in it
    . Getting rid of a teacher over the summer is easily enough written into the storyline but now I guess they'll just write this off as well.

16. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I like this show, but this last season was a snoozefest. The good thing is that old characters can get the boot and new talent brought in to freshen the place up a bit. Let's hope the next season gets better. And no singing.

17. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>That's too bad, but understandable; neither had a whole lot to do last year.
    >>

That seems to be the case on ANY show Jeri Ryan gets involved with...sigh. Star Trek Voyager should have just been renamed. Star Trek:Seven and The Doctor. Much more fitting. I can't help but wonder if there was a little jealousy in there between cast members?

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Hey, is it Ryan's fault that her characters tend to be more interesting than the ones who are with the show from the beginning? I mean, they were flailing to find any sort of character hook for Lauren until the last few episodes of season 2, and then there's only so much to do with her being meticulous and demanding.

Of course, that's just because Ryan has come in halfway through on every show she's been in, and while the characters from the pilot can sort of be generic archtypes, the guys you add later have to be interesting individuals. And those individuals are going to be more interesting to write than the archtypes.

19. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

That's quite an astute observation about the show's dynamic, Jason. I hadn't thought about that particular issue, but it's pretty much spot on. Even Billy Zane's character had more interesting things to do than Louisa. Which is a shame, 'cause I really liked her, and I'm sad to see her go.

I'm still waiting for the day where Jason reveals to us all that he's actually an Emmy-winning writer for several series over the years...

20. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

At least the singing trio has now been reduced to a duo. Hopefully they'll scrap the singing this year altogether.

Oh no! Joey McIntire sings, doesn't he?