What's new

Boston Public 5/20 - Spoilers (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
On one hand, I'm glad Harry pulled through because I think Nicky Katt is a great actor. On the other, this move feels like a cop-out.

Other than the "main plot" about Harry, this was a fairly uneventful episode. Still, I enjoy the show and am looking forward to next season!

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
It was a good episode. I was expecting a cliffhanger ending though as most shows do these days. This time they didnt

capt

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I'm going to slap the shiznite out of my mom, she came downstairs (I need to get a Dish Network dude over here to make new hole in wall because my room was redone and it is scwiiinnggggish) right when Jamaal came in to testify
and I missed what he and/or everyone said and then I got to hear right when POD started playing in the back. I'm so God damn pissed... can someone tell me what brief lines were said, or atleast summarize it.

Thank You

-Bert

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The lawyers were fighting over whether or not Jamal's testimony would be admissible, when Guber got a call on his cell phone that Harry was awake. He told the judge that Jamal's testimony may not be necessary, since Harry was awake (and presumably would pull through and identify Jamal's brother as the person who stabbed him). So, Jamal never had to testify (at least, not yet).

Mitty

Supporting Actor
My thinking is sorta the opposite of Scott's.

Call me morbid, but I was kinda hoping he'd die, because although it's a pretty good show, Nicky Katt has better things to do. He's been electric in other roles, where the BP role is one he could do with his hands tied behind his back.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The thread title warns of spoilers, so I think we're pretty safe here.

I thought it was cool that Jamal's brother knew he was going to testify, but he didn't even do it, so Jamal is getting the worst of both sides. Sucks to be him.

The Guber-blonde-chick thing was amusing. Suspension of disbelief: beautiful younger women don't ask to sleep with older dorky men point-blank. You could tell men write this show.

And yes, even though Senate got stabbed and almost died, he is a lucky bastard. What guy here wouldn't take a little knife to the aorta for fling with Jeri Ryan?

Question to Jewish people: the prayer that Harvy said to Senate, was that the Kadish, the prayer for the dead? I don't know if I'm right, but if I am, I wonder if that's on purpose.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I didn't hear it real clearly, but I don't think it was the traditional "mourner's kaddish", because I'm fairly certain that that prayer is reserved for the dead. (The recently deceased, those long-gone that we remember fondly, etc.) On the other hand, Hebrew School was rather long ago, so I'm no Rabbi Krustofsky. ;)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Oh, by the way. If you're a fan of Nicky Katt, you'll be pleased to know that he gives an intense and entertaining supporting performance in the upcoming Insomnia.
Go Nicky!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Guber-blonde-chick thing was amusing.
I dunno. I cringe everytime Scott and Lauren talk to each other and I'm getting tired of it. It's always awkward, uncomfortable, and fraught with misunderstanding and unintentional double-entendres (i.e. "They need their release and I'm looking forward to mine tonight."). Either put them together or establish once and for all that their relationship will only ever be as professional colleagues.

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone else hear the strange commentary along with the episode last night?

There was this women that was commenting on the feelings and cues of the actors/actresses in between moments of the dialoge.

Ie: When Steven is in the hospital room talking with Gruber, this women was saying....."Steven puts both hands up to his face and holds back some tears. He looks up and leans his head agains the window, his face in sadness.

It was very weird.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Huh, sounds like you got a DVS (Descriptive Video Service) track, designed to help the visually impaired enjoy the show. I didn't realize anybody other than PBS used them.

Anyway, it's usually carried as the SAP (Second Audio Program) when present; most newer TVs allow you to toggle SAP on or off from a menu.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I know the Kaddish is spoken after the person actually dies, but I thought maybe Harvey said it because he thought Harry was dead. It's not the right way to do it, but since when does Harvey do anything right?

Malcolm, I thought the "release" line was pretty funny. To each his own.

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

Now that you mention it, I remember the same women mentioning WGBH during the opening credits. I think it was a PBS DVS track as you say. It was weird, but interesting to watch the show with this commentary. I must have turned it on through my VCR without realizing.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Damn it.... And here I am, the Tech head in the house, and IIIII programed the damn VCR wrong. Could have sworn I did it right. Oh well. Here's hoping they repeat it soon, because I only got the first 5 minutes on tape, and caught the last 10 minutes when I got back...
And from what I saw, glad I didn't trust the previews on this one :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I find it highly amusing how Lauren has gone full circle with her feelings on Guber. In the first season, Guber was stalking her, and it almost got to the point of sexual harrassment. It was creepy then. Then Lauren spends most of the season with Senate until finally Senate's inability to let anyone in sabotages the relationship.
This season, after Guber's fling with Jeremy's mom, in the Senate birthday party episode, Guber and Lauren suddenly find this "mutual respect" thing and now Lauren is not creeped out by a relationship with Guber. Yeah, men write this show... :)
The season finale was okay, Chi McBride was a crying fool. While I guess I'm fine with Senate living, he may have exhausted his storylines if he continues on his death wish ways. At the start of the season, it seemed that Danny and Ronnie were destine to hook up, but that got sidetracked, and Danny such a goob anyway, no shades of grey with him. Ronnie's probably attracted to complicated guy with a good heart, so Senate fits the bill.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Lauren could also be reacting to her previous relationship- an actual stalker. Also, the guy was very young and aggressive. Maybe she was so razzled that she is now looking for the complete opposite.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was waiting for Guber to take Hanson's head off when he inquired about Lipschultz was praying with his students.

Hanson: "What's going on here?"

Guber: "I believe they're praying. Is there a problem?"

Hanson: "No."

Damn. I was almost hoping he'd say "Yes" so Guber could rip him a new one. It was rather out of character for Hanson *not* to say something. Perhaps he does have a teensy, tiny bit of tact after all that he saves for extreme situations.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
On the storyline with Guber and Lauren, I think one factor in this is Lauren's uncertainty after being openly criticized for her personality and attitudes. She retreated away from the rest of the group at Harry's party, and I think she's turned to Scott because she is slightly paranoid about trusting her other colleagues. Even though Scott has always said positive things about Lauren, it seemed like an epiphany to her to hear them then.

As for Scott, I've always been heartbroken by the guy's romantic dillemmas, because I can't really think of anything that would help him out. He tries too hard, perhaps, but he's inexperienced (in love) and seems to do the best he can.

As a person, he definitely fluctuates between hard-ass and simpleton much too often, probably because he's insecure. But the writers keep reminding us (especially in this week's episode) that when necessary, Guber can really shine. Just look at him handling the school while Harper was at Harry's side. You can see how different his attitude was from many other occasions when he's taken charge of a situation in a very hostile way.

A great conclusion to a season which threatened to go off track early on. I think Harry's character is in for a big change next year, as I think he might withdraw too far in the other direction from where he's been up to now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks