What's new

Boston Public, 4/29 (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I'm used to seeing a BP thread here every week. OK, I'll make this one.

This was, IMO, the best episode all season by far. With the exception of a brief appearance by Dana Pool, the whole thing was just the main characters. Pure character/dialogue stuff. Lots of insults, barbs, snippy exchanges, and the story moved along nicely.

I got worried when Hook Lady appeared, but her presence actually helped the episode indirectly by leading to the principal and vp to get everything out into the open.

Who else cringed when Rappaport was about to say why he thought the principal recommended the black teacher as his replacement, knowing it would be awful? I was actually caught by surprise. I thought he would just say that he likes her more as a friend or just doesn't want the vp to take over. I did not expect the racial thing.

The secretary didn't do much, neither did Lipschitz.

The whole episode was like a play, and it worked.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
I don't usually watch this, and actually after about two commercial breaks, I changed it. I'm sorry, but when I get pissed off, and say I'm leaving, I actually leave! I mean, going to the bathroom to hide??? They are adults, why not just leave to be alone at their own homes? It was ticking me off seeing multiple people say they had enough, and then come back for more.. and I'm sorry, but that atmosphere, and those ladies singing at the piano, and kareoke? If this is the best it gets, I will have to keep passing on it. Sorry, no offense to you, just didn't get it..

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the karaoke stuff was corny, but they always have that singing stuff in the show. It's one of those things I put up with.
People didn't just storm out because they felt they needed to get stuff out into the open. Besides, it was a birthday party. It would be rude. :)
I just liked the theatrical element of the episode and the character interactions. All too often, this show gets bogged down with trying to figure out ways to out-moralise each other, oddball situations, etc.
The trailor for the next episode has the elements of everything I don't like about the show- some crazy drag queen prom thing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
some crazy drag queen prom thing
Uh, watch where you're going here. We don't want to start a flurry of "in before the lock" posts.
I absolutely loved it when Meredith (hook lady) arrived at the party and Danny asked Ronnie if she had a basement so if Meredith gets out of line "we can punish her."
And the whole Danny "I know why you named Marla" thing just had me cringing because I *knew* he was heading for the race issue. The Danny Hanson character is absolutely appalling, save for the occasional comic relief (see above). He has no tact at all.
I was actually expecting the "smell this shoe" lady would show up, having somehow heard of so many teachers/administrators gathered in a single place. :D

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I liked the episode - the only major disappointment was finding out the Hook Lady didn't jump... ;)
Harry Senate is not right in the head. Dating the ex-student when he could have Seven of .. er, Ronnie?? That's just wrong. :D

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed this episode and I suspect the actors had fun doing this episode. It was just like "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe."

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
It was just like "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe."
I have just seen that movie recently and thought the same thing while watching the episode. Just lock up a bunch of characters in a room and let them have at it. Great theater!
Back in my younger days, I did a bit of acting for fun. I would eagerly jump into it if I got the chance to participate in a project like either of those.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The 1st half was LOL funny. Everyone was needling everyone else's faults (except that Marilyn and Louisa weren't picked on). Harvey was in fine form with the video camera.

The episode did feel like a theatrical play.

What have they done to Lauren? I used to like her in season one, but she's just become someone not entirely likable.

The hook lady provided plenty of dark yuks. Loved it when Stephen said to her, "Bring it on!"

Even though Marla is a good motivational speaker, I somehow would roll my eyes if she were ever to become a school principal because she's still a bit looney in the head which would make her be too reactionary in her responses, and she's got too many hot buttons to be a fair and balanced candidate for the position.

I don't think any of the teachers would be a good candidate at this point in time.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I thought the same thing about Marla. However, perhaps Steven's reasoning was that Goober's pragmatism and stability would anchor Marla down, providing a balance. Kind of like Spock to Kirk.

But still, she is a whack job.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks