Boston Public 3/18/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveF, Mar 19, 2002.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I watch Boston Public sporadically, and generally enjoy it; last week's episode seemed one of the better ones recently. In contrast, last night's was a "very special episode of Blossom", where I learned:
    - Don't talk to strangers (esp. on the internet: it's bad, it's Bad!)
    - Don't give money to druggies (cause, like, they might be lying to you, just to get more drugs)
    - Parents, talk to your kids about drugs (they're bad, Bad!)
    - Teaching is Noble
    My head hurt, after getting beaten with such heavy-handed (and shallow) moralizing [​IMG]
    At least there was one good scene: where Gruber complimented Marla, telling her his high esteem for her teaching. I thought that was good continuation of some character growth from the previous episode, when he fired the hook lady (and ended their romance).
    So, was last night's really that bad? Or am I just being a grump?
    [edited for spelling]

2. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Two things annoy me about this show every week:

1) Singing - stop it already!

2) Mentioning 9/11 every episode - What's the point? It doesn't further the plot at all.

Peter

3. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Couldnt agree more with the annoying as hell singing...I TiVo'ed right through those everytime (but that doesnt make them any less anoying)...

JQ

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The speech at the end was very heavy-handed. It kind of kills the subtlety of the show when you have one of the characters lecturing you.

I did like the stuff with the chemistry teacher. It always bothered me that the only teachers we ever see are English and Social Studies teachers.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

6. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    This show bothers me. Every week a teacher is threatened with dismissal. And almost every week some type of legal matter is brought up. Can you tell that David E. Kelley used to be a lawyer?

They need to get some advisors on this show from the education field to give it some more reality instead of Kelley's personal soap box.

7. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Oh no! Bad people are on the net! NO!
    Excuse me while I hide under my bed from all the mean people on the HTF forum who are "bad people" [​IMG]
    Peter

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

At least they got rid of the hook lady.

10. Jeff Behlendorf

I agree with Jason, David Kelley has never been one for subtlety and I love it. We need more soap box standing in today's TV to make you think and to compensate for the overabundance of mindless TV that seems to be popular today. And what makes you think the Hook Lady is gone. Kathy Baker was still listed in the opening credits as I recall. I don't think we've heard the last of her.

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I thought it was an OK episode. The whole steroids plot line went nowhere though. Boy in batting cage, boy finds coach rifling his locker, boy disappears from episode. I fully expected the boy to show up with his parents and their lawyer after being suspended from the team (and the whole parents/lawyer threatening the school with lawsuits plotline has really been overdone).
    I do wish they'd dump Michael Rappaport already. His constant sarcasm and smart-ass remarks are very tiresome. Nicky Katt plays the same role in a much more understated and humorous way.
    On the other hand, I actually like the singing/musical interludes. I think all the "girls" have great voices, especially Loretta Devine. Will there be a Boston Public CD? [​IMG]

12. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

As someone who was watching Ally McBeal for a couple years prior to Boston Public's beginning, the musical interludes don't surprise or irritate me. I've always felt they worked rather well in the show.

The soapboxing and melodramatic plot lines never bothered me much either, because the show brings up a lot of intriguing and important issues and does an decent job airing different sides of each one.

There was a very weak stretch at the start of this season, but I think they're getting back into form. One of the things they haven't done as well, I think, is having compelling plotlines that stretch over multiple episodes. Aside from the romance between Guber and Mrs. Peters, there aren't a lot of continuing stories. Even if you consider recurring characters, such as Harper's daughter, the individual appearances are somewhat self-contained.

Did I think this week's episode was just too much? Not really. It's pretty much the same as usual to me. And I thought Marla's drug speech to the parents was interesting. I don't usually go for preachy material, but I guess when the context isn't completely the same, I can take it.

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

14. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Smell this shoe!

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

16. Dan Paolozza

Dan Paolozza Stunt Coordinator

17. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>This show bothers me. Every week a teacher is threatened with dismissal. And almost every week some type of legal matter is brought up. Can you tell that David E. Kelley used to be a lawyer?

They need to get some advisors on this show from the education field to give it some more reality instead of Kelley's personal soap box. >>

I dissagree with this. While it may not be realistic, I think it makes the show more interesting. This isn't the type of show I usually watching, since I like comedies more than dramas. But I had the first episode on, and got hooked. most shows are stale. But this one, you don't know wich cast member will be there till the end of theh season, and what will happen next.

18. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>At least they got rid of the hook lady.

>>

Agreed. No offense to the people who actually have that problem IRL, but I never cared for that strange story line.

19. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I miss Sheryl Holt and her animated commentaries.

A show like BP needs to be seen as a composite of the problems that many school encounters, the problems just happen to occur all at one school, otherwise, school can be pretty mundane, and no one would tune in for "real time" events to occur over the course of a school year.

There are some good LOL parts in most of the episodes, and the recurring characters can be good for a laugh.

I felt bad for the chemistry teacher, and obviously Stephen didn't really like him (else, Stephen would have done what he could to keep him around a la Senate). What sort of pissed me off was that the girls who participated in the online sextalk with the chemistry teacher are shown singing chorus like nothing happened, no repercussions for them at all. I didn't quite like the message that scene was saying.