Boston Public - 02/04/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveF, Feb 6, 2002.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    First, I'm not looking to restart the thread about FCC complaints (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=44312). Rather, I'm curious what people think about the latest Boston Public episode, specifically, and the show in general.
    Borrowing from Mike Broadman:

2. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

I wish to god they would stop it with the stupid musical sequences EVERY DAMN EPISODE. Good castmembers are being underused while they spend an entire sequence every week on this crap.

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I know, it's not surprising that I'm going to talk about Boston Public, after that long and useless post in the closed thread. Eh.
    This was my favorite episode of the season. It was cohesive, flowed well, had good character pieces (like how the teacher dealt with the girl bullies), and we got to see the characters re-enact the Honeymooners. And Jeri Ryan in an apron is my new fantasy. [​IMG]
    The show this season suffers from two problems, IMO:
    1) Too many characters
    The show had a rich cast of characters last season. It was just enough to get into them, but not too many to get lost. This season, they're getting lost.
    That's not to say that I don't like the new characters. Michael Rappaport's character is excellent, and I always liked Rappaport's work. But we already had a character like him before: Harry Senate. So now this season, Senate doesn't do anything except make wise-ass remarks. Though there was the one episode where he was more prominent.
    Jeri Ryan's character doesn't do much anymore after the first few eps of the season.
    I don't mind adding new characters, but maybe that means taking out a couple. It's like they added too many layers of paint.
    2) The hook lady
    If you haven't seen the show and only saw last night's, than you're not aware of the romance that's developing between the vice principle and one of the kid's mother, whose hand was chopped off by her son. It was a cute little story, but it's getting really stupid and, IMO, just obnoxious.
    Overall, the show is still entertaining, but it doesn't have the same "oomph" as last season. I don't know how they can keep the show at high quality for more than a couple of season- after all, how many story ideas can you come up with in a school?

4. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

I have to say I haven't consistently enjoyed this show during this season as much as I did last year. Earlier someone stated that all these new characters seem to have handicapped the show, and it was a completely dead-on remark. Although loud-mouth Mike Rappaport is a match made in heaven with controversial producer David E. Kelly, he already had character gold last year.

I also agree that the musical interludes at the end wear the show down as well.

5. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

This episode was too predictable. I still like the show but I have to agree the musical numbers have got to go. I have a fear that this show is going to slowly turn into the junk that ally mcbeal turned into.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Overall, this episode was good. It focused more on students than the teachers' outside affairs, dealt with a social issue with a twist (the bomb thing), and still got a theme across through a good monologue. I wish they did more episodes like this.

And they really should cut the cast down. Sad part is, the cast is pretty good overall.

7. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

The show has made a remarkable recovery. If you go back a few months, there were a couple threads here about the show starting off pretty badly this season.

While they have done an admirable job of bringing back the spirit of the first season, I am most impressed that they managed such a huge turnaround in the Guber/Mrs. Peters (I hate to keep saying "hook lady") storyline. This started out so wildly implausible and just surreal and comical, but they have managed to bring it down to earth and give it a bit more dignity as an arc about people in love dealing with unusual circumstances. At the beginning of the season, it didn't seem they had an idea why Jeremy reacted as he did, just that he was being outrageous. This has turned around as well. The moments where Guber has tried to connect with Jeremy are actually pretty strong material.

8. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

I agree, there are too many cast members. I wouldn't mind seeing the hook lady, Marla, and Ronnie (Jeri Ryan) go... I would like to see Harry Senate a lot more, I really enjoyed him last season. Michael Rappaport's character is the only new chracter that I like.

Peter

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I saw two of the "hook lady" episodes. Interesting initially, but the continuing storyline became tiresome.

I also liked the Harry Senate character a lot (my favorite, from what I've seen) -- it's a shame he's not given more exposure. And while I think the Michael Rappaport's character is good, why was he added? It seems to duplicate too much of Senate (loud, abrasive, forthright, self-righteous, male teacher).

Likewise, Jeri Ryan. Now, I'm all for any excuse to have JR on TV, but the character was most interesting as the burned-out corporate lawyer, bringing her business-sense to bear in the public school. But it seems like now she's just another generic babe.

I did like the musical -- it added levity to what, to me, is an overly dark series in general (that's partly why I stopped watching regularly; it was too depressing for me). Maybe I'll check it out again, more frequently.