What's new

Boston Legal (1 Viewer)

tom_tagliente

Stunt Coordinator
It was a really strange thing. Boston Legal aired an episode in early March with Shelley Long and then disappeared for a few weeks (said to return on 4/24). And,, now the official website claims it will not be back until the 05/06 TV season.

Anyone else want to see this show on DVD?

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
I love this show. Before this i've never watched a lawyer show but with James Spader, William Shatner & Mark Valley together in one show I had to see it and i've been hooked ever since. I love for this to come on dvd before Season 2 started but now i'm worried as they cut the season short and will air the last five episodes as part of season 2. I guess they could just put Season 1 as it it was on DVD. Part of me is hoping that Fox will just put all 22 episodes on DVD, and you would get a sneek peek before they showed them in the fall.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Tom, what happened was that they produced enough episodes to cover the May sweeps period, but since those eps needed to be floated a few weeks until May started, ABC started airing Grey's Anatomy in its timeslot. GA was intended to be a summer show, but they figured it would fill in a'right for BL and get a jump start.

What happenned was beyond what anyone at ABC expected: BL had been winning its timeslot, but GA started winning it, too...and with BETTER NUMBERS! So ABC decided to keep the better numbers, call it a season for BL, and will air the remaining episodes as the beginning of the second season. In the meantime, GA just keeps on going.

I like both shows, so I'm torn. But yeah, I'd love to have BL's 1st Season on DVD in the meantime. It WILL be back on-air, though.

What I can't help but thinking, though, is that David E. Kelly just can't friggin' win lately!!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I started getting into BOSTON LEGAL a few months back, and was really liking it. But, it was never a must watch show for me. If I saw it, I saw it. If I didn't, I didn't. I didn't set the Tivo for it or anything.

Meanwhile, I LOVE GREY'S ANATOMY. That is already set on my Tivo Season Pass, and I can't wait for each episode (30 minutes from now). It's become one of my favorite shows on TV.

I can understand why ABC did what they did.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Going further off-topic, maybe the solution for ABC would be some British-style scheduling: Make "Boston Legal" a "Fall season" show and make Grey's Anatomy a "Spring season" show. That way, they could continue to share the timeslot that they are doing the good numbers in (as ABC proved in the past with "The Practice", moving a show getting decent numbers to a different night can sometimes yield disastrous results).

This type of scheduling would also mean less reruns!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, with this approach, season one of Boston Legal can't hit DVD until season 2 is WELL under way.. preventing a boost in the ratings from people who frequently pick up DVD sets of shows they want to catch up on during the summer.

I would be shocked if both Lost and Desperate Housewives don't get a nice ratings bump out of their DVD sets... Boston Legal surely could have used one.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

If they really wanted the ratings bump, they should have released them earlier in the summer. In the fall, with people usually busier, and the new TV season starting out, people aren't as willing to go through an entire box set.

Meanwhile, if they released it in the summer, they have plenty of time to catch up on it. 24 was released in the summer and that is when I was able to see it. I passed around the set to a few others who were also able to watch it all before the second season began.

With LOST especially, I don't know if people who get the box set will have enough time to watch all the eps before the new season starts.

tom_tagliente

Stunt Coordinator
This is a reply for Mr. lambert's post above. David E. Kelley COULD win yet. If he would look into placing Boston Legal on a different night, like Tuesday and chopping Blind Justice off the air.

Shane Roach

Stunt Coordinator
If other folks watch season sets the way my wife and I do, time is hardly a factor. Since she can't tolerate the long waits between episodes, the only way she watches "24" is on DVD. She gave me Season 3 for Christmas last year, and the last weekend of her holiday break (she's a schoolteacher) we watched the entire season over the course of about 25 hours. We watched the first disc, went to sleep, and started back immediately after breakfast, with bathroom and food breaks scheduled around disc changes.

I already have a feeling we'll do the same thing with "Lost" in the fall.

But back to the topic, I agree with Andy's suggestion of staggering "Boston Legal" and "Grey's Anatomy" in half-season blocks to keep them both on Sunday. They're great shows that the missus and I both enjoy, and since I work nights we'd lose the chance to watch them together if one of them went to a weeknight slot.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Or, the show could tank in the ratings on Tuesdays and get cancelled. ABC tried moving "The Practice" to Monday nights a couple seasons back. The ratings took a huge nosedive, and by the time they got around to putting the show back on Sundays, the damage had been done: many of the show's fans had already moved on to something else, and the series never regained all the viewers it had lost. If it hadn't been for the major cast cutback (and the master-stroke of getting James Spader), the show wouldn't have made it back another year and no doubt, we wouldn't have "Boston Legal" today (or at least, as we know it).

Of course, if BL is off the air completely (even reruns) until the fall, that may be almost as bad as a timeslot change. Perhaps they should bring it back in the summer when "Housewives" in is rerun Hell (with DH being a big "serial", I'm not sure how many people will be so inclined to rewatch the reruns over the summer, now that they will know all the big "secrets". Perhaps best to take it off for awhile after the finale and bring BL back for a bit of a summer run).

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I like this show much better than I ever did The Practice. Great cast, good fun. :emoji_thumbsup:

John H Ross

Screenwriter
More Emmy wins for James Spader and William Shatner! YAY! This is SO my favourite show right now! Come on, where on the DVDs? Pleeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!

JR

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks