What's new

Boston Legal Worth a Blind Purchase? (1 Viewer)

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure if you were serious or not but I couldn't disagree more. I never saw a single episode b4 I bought the first season and it's one of the best dvd investments I ever made

David E Kelley is one of the best writers in the history of tv period.!! They way he's able to go from dramatic courtroom social commentary to biting satire from one scene to the next is just brilliant.

Spader and Shatner are fantastic together also. I was never really a big fan of "Cpt Kirk" b4 this show but I think he's perfectly casted opposite Spader. Adding Bergen midway through season one also added another layer of comedic tension between the three of them.

The show is also much more enjoyable on dvd since some of the story lines carry over from week to week like 24. In fact I have yet to see any episode during it's regular run. I've already pre-ordered season 3 at amazon.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

This is one of the few tv shows like The Sopranos that holds up well to multiple viewings on dvd :emoji_thumbsup:

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
James Spader and William Shatner are the two reasons I watch the show and buy it on DVD. Boston Legal is not a remarkably innovative series, but it is slick, funny and at times surreal. Kelley seems to have foregone the preachiness of past shows Picket Fences and the Practice, but he continues to create and dump new characters at an alarming rate. I'm shocked that it was nominated for a Best Drama Emmy--I think there are far more deserving shows (especially on cable, cough, The Wire, cough).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

One of the things I keep laughing at is when James Spader's characters will make the point (when being threatened with being fired from the law firm) that he would like to go to "cable" anyway. ;)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I got tired pretty quickly, no more than two episodes did it for me, it was the zippy style that got to me most. And fewer characters would've been more to my taste, but I guess that's impossible, considering where it takes place.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Henry: you are more than entitled to your opinion...but it is pretty damning for only having seen a couple of episodes.

I don't find the style all that "zippy" at all. There are--to be sure--quick edits during transitions from scene-to-scene...but I find the scenes themselves to be "full." There is the use of hand-held cameras to be taken into account and some unusual shot selection. For some reason, there seems to be an emphasis on characters' hands.

An earlier poster mentioned the thematic music. That also seems to give the show an "edge." It's not my favorite either...but I'm willing to get used to it.

But other than that, it just seems like an updated version of LA Law--with characters that are more interesting (not that LA Law didn't have it's own interesting plot lines/characters). ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.