What's new

Boston Legal Worth a Blind Purchase? (1 Viewer)

ThomasMon

Stunt Coordinator
Honestly, try it before you buy it. I tried it on TV and Spade's character was so irritating I couldn't take it. I tried a few times, and just can't get into it.

But that's just me, you may like it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Brandon, Thomas: I guess it's all a matter of taste. One of the show's endearing qualities to me IS the irritating way Spader's character (Alan Shore) acts. He's a pain in the ass, and he knows it, and he loves being that way. :D

I know people like that, too. I work with a couple of them at my full-time job, and while I'm always getting into tiffs with one of them over something or another (she can't stand to see me eating a candy bar without telling me all the bad chemical ingredients that are in it, for example), I absolutely wouldn't have her any other way.

Back to Alan Shore, though: He uses his "superpowers" for both good and evil. Good because he's got a good heart inside, though he would never admit it in a million years. Evil because he's a womanizer and has to have booze and cigars and because he's VERY competitive and just HAS to win.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
The show is worth owning just for the interaction between Shatner and Spader and their actions with others. You have also got to love the little jabs that Shatner and the show make at his Kirk image. The cellphone as a communicator was clasic.

I ordered it as soon as it became available.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
The Star Trek references (as well as a few Emmy references) start in Season 2. Season 1 is a little (little) bit more dramatic.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Is there even a release date for the DVD of Boston Legal?

Definetly worth a blind purchse. Especially to see Lake Bell again (yummy).

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
And the creepiest scene involving the use of "Denny Crane"?

When Shirley whispered it repeatedly in Denny's ear. Funny, but disturbing.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
As an FYI, Best Buy will be offering a bonus disc containing 4 episodes from the series that preceded it, The Practice (*perhaps my favourite legal drama) with the purchase of Boston Legal: Season One; pre-order price is $37.99 (link)

HowardPaul

Stunt Coordinator
This is a show that started of well, for me and then lost it.
I watched it from the first episode after The Practice folded since it had a main lawyer from The Practice as its lead.
It was entertaining in many ways at the outset but then seemed to get lost. Frankly, it became too raunchy and unbelievable.
I was sorry to see it lose focus. It almost seemed as though different writers were doing different things with the show. Alan Shore's character became too schizoid for my taste.
Anyhow, this is just my own opinion.
How

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
It's a funny, always-entertaining show, but not one of my absolute favorites. Stories are hit-and-miss, and much of the first season was spent trying to figure out what side of that comedy/drama fence it was going to most comfortably sit on. This year is better for the most part- a lead actress switch was most welcome, and I think the show has worked out what it 'is' just fine.

I do think James Spader's performance (and the character, Alan Shore) is especially great (and I agree with those praising the Spader/Shatner chemistry), but I often feel like the show isn't as good as its potential, given how tremendous Alan's impact was on the last season of The Practice. Alan feels a bit... neutered as a lead-you-base-a-show-around character, as opposed to the major conflict catalyst he was at a firm where he was a complete 'ill fit' for, since his methods and ethics differed so greatly. Every now and then, he'll still do something a bit 'out there', but not to the extent he did in Practice 8, where in practically every episode he'd do something that would shock...

Definitely recommend that any BL-but-didn't-watch-Practice fans get the eventual release of Practice 8- it's a must-see for anybody that loves watching Alan do his thing.

Candice Bergen was a great addition to the cast- big agree with those who've said that...

Kipp Teague

Stunt Coordinator
Off-topic...just wanted to say what a small net-world it is. I was reading this thread (I too am pondering a blind Boston Legal purchase), and I saw Parker Clack's thumbnail image of Number Six's Village residence from The Prisoner. I thought it looked like a famliar shot, and it turns out I should have indeed recognized it, because I shot the photograph myself during a 1981 visit to "The Village." :)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I am definately picking this up in a couple weeks. Any info yet on what episodes are on that practice bonus disc yet ? I presume they will be the denny crane ones from the last year. Atleast that makes the most sense to me, but i thought he was in more than just 4.

Michael_Sim

Auditioning
I like Boston Legal and will be picking up the set when it's out. But it's a pity Mark Valley is under-utilised, though.

Michael

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
>> but i thought he was in more than just 4.

Yeah, the last six. Couple more, and they could have all of the Crane/Poole/Schmidt material on there.

Maybe they'll have the big Alan murder trial three-parter that introduced Catherine (Betty White). And one more (?).

Or the first four of the season...

Curious.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I was kinda thinking it might be the last four episodes, as it is episode 19 ("The Firm") where Alan starts working for Crane, Poole and Schmidt (immediately following his wrongful termination trial against his former employers) and those episodes take place, at least half of the time, with Alan and his new firm.

That's what I'm hoping for, anyway. I think it'd make better sense to release four-in-a-row rather than random ones, though, and I'm sure they'll all be "Alan Shore" (season 8) episodes.

I guess the other possibilty would be the 3-part Catherine Piper storyline followed by the next episode, which is the catalyst for the wrongful termination trial, but none of those episodes feature Shatner. My money's on the last four.

It wouldn't at all surprise me that when/if The Practice makes it to DVD, that season 8 will either be the first one out of the gate, or will immediately follow season 1. I'm sure they'd want to capitalise on the spinoff's "buzz."

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Agree, last four makes the most sense (wasn't sure in which one it was Alan that started working there). Very probably will be those.

Agree Practice 8 will likely be released first (or in tandem with 1).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.