What's new

Boston CRC not shielded properly? (1 Viewer)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Someone mentioned before that they noticed with their Boston CRC center that it would cause some interference on the TV when played at high volumes. Well, last night during some sub repositioning I noticed the same thing. I was using an old "Food for Woofers" disk to check the sound of the new location. Anyway, what I noticed was what can best be described as the same thing you get when you touch an LCD screen with your finger....kind of a puddling effect of like a dark purple color. Aren't centers supposed to be shielded? The CRC is positioned directly on top of my 32" Sony (circa 1996 vintage), with 12ga. wire running to it. The speaker wire runs down the back side of the TV...could this cause the problem or is it the speaker itself? The volume was up quite a bit louder than normal listening level (I was playing around an no one else was home, hehe). Could this cause permanent damage to the TV? Thanks!

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
I was the guy. Same problem. I got waves of interference kind of like ripples on a pond. I tried putting things between the center and the TV (Sony) as well as hanging the wire so that it was nowhere near the CRT. Nothing worked except moving the thing about two feet away which I didn't want to do. I called Boston and the first thing they asked me was what kind of tv did I have. Then they tried to blame it on the TV and wouldn't own up to the fact that it was poorly shielded. Just for goofs, I went to the CC and picked up a Polk CS245i and A/B'd them. Interference disappeared so I took the CRC back.

I forgot to mention that this only happened at high volume. I'd guess 85+ db.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Well, this stinks! I like the sound of the Bostons and have been planning on grabbing some CR85s to match the front all the way across. Granted, I was listening louder than I would normally want to watch something for any length of time. That still doesn't make it right though! Argh! BTW, how do you like the Polk? How much did it set you back?

For what it's worth, my Boston VR-MC sits right on top of a 32" Sony TV, and I don't see any distortion even at high volumes.

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
The CS245i can be had for $150 these days. It's as good as the CRC IMHO but not a perfect match sonically. I use the Center EQ feature on my Yamaha to equalize the response a bit. It's the best solution I could come up with and still keep the CR-8's.
Sean, the VR-MC uses the Lynfield tweeter as opposed to the Kortec tweet in the CR series. Although it's nice to know it doesn't suffer from the same problem cause I will have those VRM-60's one day...:D

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I agree with Sean. I have the VR-MC sitting on top of my TV and have experienced no such problems at high volumes.

John - can you return the CRC and get VR-MC?

Johnny - you'll love the VR-M60's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks