What's new

Boston / B&W (1 Viewer)

pschlek

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick
Hi Everyone-

A few years back, I bought the beginnings of what I wanted to eventually make into a respectable 5.1 surround-sound stereo system. At the moment, I have a Yamaha RX-V620 receiver, and 2 Boston Acoustics CR85 bookshelf speakers. I'm very happy with the Bostons, and was planning to eventually fill out the other 3.1 speakers with more Boston stuff.

As I was driving home from work the other day, I saw that our local home entertainment boutique was going out of business, so I stopped in. They had a few B&W speakers on sale at significant discounts. I think I remember seeing the number 686 on a few of the bookshelf speakers. The downside is, since the store is going out of business, the speakers are not hooked up to any system, and I'm not able to listen before buying them.

I know B&W makes very good stuff, and the price looked pretty good. Should I take advantage of this opportunity, buy the B&W's, and relegate my Bostons to the rear 2 speakers, or should I hold out and buy more Bostons later? I am a professional classical musician, so I've been trained to have pretty discriminating ears. I'd love to hear feedback from you all.

Thanks,
Pat

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The speakers are the one part of a system, that is a matter of personal taste, more than anything else. What sounds great to one person's ears, can sound terrible to another person. I don't care for most Klipsch speakers. They sound too bright to me. But a lot of people love them.

If they aren't willing to hook them up for you to hear (doesn't hurt to ask),you could buy them and try them. If they are as good a sale price as you say, you shouldn't have any trouble selling them, if you don't like them. Put them on eBay, and you might even make a profit...........
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
absplumbing
Recent bookmarks