1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Boston Acoustics

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jose G, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I don't hear much about Boston Acoustics any more. Are they still a good company? I've only seen one review that said they tend to be better than other companies in the same price range- such as when comparing the BA's CR65 to the Bose 201's or 301's. I heard Energy speakers are better but the price range changes. Any thoughts?

2. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

I have a Boston setup. I am using the VR-M series and am very impressed. I didn't listen to the CR series when I bought mine so I can't comment on them but in my opinion Boston makes a great speaker. Can you do better for the money? I know I spent alot of time auditioning many of the popular brands and none of them sounded better to me than the VR-M60's, VR-MC, and VR-MX's that I ultimately bought. I have had them for about a year now and have no desire to upgrade the speakers. They are great for both music and movies. I am using a SVS 20-39PC for the bottom end.

3. Miles Abbey

Miles Abbey Agent

Love my Boston VR-M90's. They are outstanding. I haven't compared them to much in the same price range. I bought them based on my previous satisfaction with other boston products. vr940's.

4. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

awww come on. anything is practically better than bose.

i am using the vr-mc and vr-m50, and the only upgrade path i have in mind is vr-m90 or 80. i love the way they sound. honest. airy, smooth and neutral.

5. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Boston is far superior to Bose, don't even joke about them just being just a "little better".

I currently use Boston VR-950 as mains, PV600 sub, and VR-12 Center (upgraded from VR-10). I've gotten nothing but extroadinary performance from them for the last 3 years, and am going to be a long time BA buyer. I'll have all BAs when I upgrade my surround to VRMXs.

Boston Acoustics builds all their own parts and drivers and do a great job at it, I am yet to find someone who has used Bostons and was unhappy with them. The VR Series I have excel at music and movies and take everything I can give them. Beautiful musical sound, and powerful and intense home theater experiences I can't imagine switching to anything else.

There's alot more I can say about them, but you get the idea.

6. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Thanks for the input. I love my old Bostons and have had them for 12 years. I'll look into the VR series for an upgrade to fronts and maybe keep the HD8's as rears. By the way, I agree about the bose not even coming close to any BA, I just needed a name to throw out there.

7. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

i have owned ba's for the last 14 years. i still think my old ba a90's are the best sounding two ways out there. i think the lynfield tweeter is the sweetest sounding tweeter on any speaker in that price range and beyond. i have compared ba's to paradigm, def techs, polks, klipsch etc. and always come back to the boston sound. those are all great speakers but i just seem to hear more with bostons. maybe i am just too partial though [​IMG] i am suprised i don't read more about bostons on forums. anyone know why this may be?

8. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Jose, also check out the VR-M series. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have the VR-M60's, VR-MC, and VR-MX's and couldn't be happier. I have no desire to upgrade, but if I ever did I would only go for the VR-M80 or M90. As stated above, they sound great with music and movies.