Boston Acoustics VR965 for HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ErikE, Sep 5, 2001.

1. ErikE

ErikE Auditioning

Hello all,
    I'm wondering if anyone is using the Boston Acoustics VR965 for home theater. And if so, are you using the built-in subwoofers for your LFE or are you using a separate sub?
    The crux of my post is to determine whether the VR965 without a separate sub would give a good HT experience because the cleaner look of an install without a separate sub appeals to me but not if it compromises the sound too much.
    My living room has lots of glass in the form of floor-to-ceiling windows and a sliding glass door so my placement options are fairly limited. The room is large (17x17x10) and opens to a dining area/kitchen. However, I will probably never listen at reference levels since this is a condo and I don't want to evoke the wrath of my neighbors, the HOA, or the local police.
    thanks in advance for any input
    --erik
    ------------------
    "It's a test designed to provoke an emotional response..."

2. ErikE

ErikE Auditioning

Just writing to apologize for the multiple posts on this topic... my browser kept saying it couldn't reach the site, but I guess it made it to posting but not the next step.
    Once again, very sorry.
    --erik

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Ideally you would want a nice external sub...but if you don't desire an extra box in the living room than a powered tower may be your best bet. Boston makes some nice speakers...also look at Definitive Technology at www.definitivetech.com
    Good luck!

4. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

I use the 975's in my HT and the bass is excellent. The 965's will certainly provide much more bass than you will ever be able to use in a condo. I think the 965's use 8" subs. The 975's use 10" and probably a little boost in amp power. I think you'll probably need to spend upward of $1500 or more on a commercial sub to begin to out-do the BA towers.