Boston Acoustics VR-965 and 975 owners, input please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff S, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering something about these Boston Acoustic speakers from the VR line, this is particaually about the 975, but it also applies to the 965, and other powered towers in general.

How do they sound when you do not use the internal subs, and instead use separate subs (like other BA subs, or SVS)? What about when you use ALL the subs, the included ones, and separates? Any cancelling frequencies?

Also if you do not use the internal subs, do the bass drivers do anything (such as play lower frequencies from the amp), or are just dead silent?

Thanks in advance for the info.

2. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Hi Geoff, I am a vr965 owner and absolutely love those speakers. I had the same question about the powered sub in them. I do not send the lfe to the built in sub, only to my B.A. sub. if you do not send lfe to the speakers the "subs" still output bass via the built in amps. They do this set at small or large. Of course you will get more bass from them with the receiver set to large. I thought at first i was wasting the built in amps if i did not send lfe to them but they really sound great. It seems to fill in a lot of gap in the mid-range. I would definitely send the lfe to a separate sub though because the built in subs will not have enough of the real lows that you may want in bass heavy movies. I do keep them set to large at all times though because they can handle down to 29 hrz. They sound great for music set this way as well. The vr975's sound fantastic as well. They are discontinued so you should be able to find a great price for them. You can probably get away without using a separate sub with the 975's because of the larger sub and amp as well as the 12" passive radiator. I already had a sub which is why i opted for the 965. If i can be any more help let me know. As far as i know i may be the only 965 owner on this forum[​IMG] . Good luck.

3. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

I have the 975s and love them. When not using the built-in subs they will perform like any other decent normal three way towers that dont have powered subs. My 975s are driven by a Yammie 2095 in a 20X24 great room and the subs fill the room very powerfully. Granted a separate quality sub may do more but the 975s will pound pretty hard. I'd guess you'd need to spend close to a grand (retail) before you'd get a sub that will begin to outperform the subs in the 975s