What's new

boston acoustics timbre matching problem (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
ok, i have a stupid story to tell.

some of you knew already...that i was drooling over boston vr-m50. today i saw these speakers sold at ebay by a reputable seller for 400 bucks. i jokingly placed a bid for the exact amount of price. after that, i realized there was no bidding setting that could be tinkered with. it was a dutch bid!!!!!!! OMG! I HAVE TO BUY THE SPEAKERS! AND I AM BROKE!!!

i have a few questions :

- how much is a pair of paradigm cinema cc70 these days? i

have used it for only 3 months for gods sake and now i have to sell them in order to afford the bostons!

- what would be the perfect center match for the vr-m50??? vr-mc is obvious but it is too expensive. can i use vr-910 instead? i hope i could purchase the new center in the future when i have more money.

- is it ok to have 2 different manufacturer's speakers? i mean, 3 bostons in the front, 3 paradigms in the back? will there be timbre matching problem this way?

gaaaah! i dont know whether today is a bad day or not. 400 bucks for the bostons is grrrrreat, but...grrrrr

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i forgot one more question.

realistically i could only afford a pair of vr-m50. which one do you think would be best : put them as the rear surround ( i have no center rear yet ), or put them as the front mains even though my center is not timbre matched with them?

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Felix:

I looked at that listing. The $400 price is for how many? It looks like it's for 1. Since you can pick these up at a dealer for $700 the pair, I'm not sure how good a deal this is. He's got the MSRP screwed up too. He's listing it as $2000, which is for the VR-M80s.

Now to your question. The VR910 will work with the VR-M50's and be quite and excellent match. I'd go with it, without hesitation.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i didnt know that a pair of speakers could be sold per unit. i am gonna make sure about it.

edit :

when i bought my paradigm cinemas, one box = 2 speakers. so i assume boston would do the same package. if that is a mistake, how to cancel the bid???

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
If it were me, I'd double sell them. Either get them and then just relist them, or have the current seller hold them so you can have them shipped from there (some sellers will balk at this, though most just want to get paid promptly and are very helpful).

I really wouldn't settle for anything other than the VR-MC; the VR-Ms are very distinctive looking pieces, and you want to get at least the front 3 with some sort of matching finish. Plus you get the peace of mind knowing it was the exact speaker designed to be the center.

The other element is that his listing is very misleading, since he quotes a pair price as "MSRP" which is also $1300 too much. He has the wrong specs in his table highlighted, and since the factory sells these in pairs, it would be odd for him to have 3 singles. You could use this to try and retract your bid.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
actually i originally wanted the vrm50 for rear surround, and use vr lynnfield for the 3 fronts. i dont want to purchase the vrm higher series. they are overkill for me. thats why i am considering to purchase vr910 in the future.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
felix,

What happened? Did you have to buy the speakers? Was the bid for one speaker or a pair?

Vlad

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
hi vlad.

it was for a pair, confirmed, but damn i still havent received it yet. there were 3 winners of that bid, and none of us have gotten the speakers. still waiting for a response from the seller, since we dont want to jump the gun and give the seller negative response.

btw, we had to transfer 400 bucks to a bank in estonia. 40 bucks for the transfer fee. i followed the seller's instruction, i transferred 360 bucks instead. shipping included, so in total i spent 400 bucks.

if everything would end well, 400 bucks for a pair of vr-m50 is a steal!!! but i got a feeling this is a scam.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Felix:

I feel for you. One question, why oh why would you transfer money to a bank in Estonia for a supposedly brand new pair of speakers made in the USA. Does this make sense? If you do a search on the seller's feedback, it appears she has never sold anything on ebay...all the feedback is for purchases. I truly hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like you've been ripped off.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Felix, I am very sorry to hear that. You should probably ask around about what can be done (if anything) in such a situation. Best of luck.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
yep, looks like it. all three of us are going to wait one more week, then we would start to do something about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks