Boston Acoustics Receptor Radio?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jim Rakowiecki, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

This is slightly out of the HT realm but I think if anyone can help me it would be you guys.
    Does anyone have the Receptor radio? If so what are your impressions.
    I was playing around with one the other day and it sounded ver good for a clock radio, on the other hand $160.00 is a lot of money to spend on a clock radio.
    Any thoughts?

2. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard one but have read a few good reviews of it. Apparently it sounds much better than the wave radio but for a good deal less.

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I've heard the Receptor several times and it does sound very good. Though I tend to think of it as a radio with a clock--I know that seems like a small distinction but "clockradio" has the connotation of a cheesy plastic thing with a flimsy 3" speaker using a 1oz. magnet.

I myself own a Tivoli "Model One" table radio (X-Mas present) which sounds nearly as good but costs only a hundred bucks.

Check this out! >>>
    Tivoli Sirius Satellite table radio

LJ

4. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I have the RR for a few weeks now and I'm extremely disappointed. It can play loud and has good clarity BUT it's so boomy has no tone control at all I find it intolerable to listen to. It's not natural or accurate just boom boom boom. Male voices just boom on this thing! I tried some duct tape over the port and even stuffing a cloth in the port but the plastic box flexes and it's still boomy. Obviously, the closer it to a corner it's placed just makes all this worse. I wrote to BA about my disappointment 1 week ago and still have gotten no response. It was a gift from a lady friend, so I have to keep until she's history. So here's what I did. I kept it to use as a very expensive clock radio and then went out purchased a Sangean (was Proton) RS-330 clock radio on sale for $99 and I put it on my bathroom counter and now I listen to that instead. The sound of the RS330 is much better (as in accurate, natural, etc), it has seperate bass and treble controls, the presets are easier to access/operate, can be expanded with an rs300 slave to be a stereo unit. I'm happy now.