Boston Acoustics receivers and pre/power amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by LanceJ, Apr 7, 2005.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Maybe they use the same manufacturer as Outlaw. There are subtle differences-- a phono input here, a dvi output there.

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

From what I've been told, Sherwood has a regular business of building equipment for other companies (though I'm not sure if Outlaw is one of them).

And these BA receivers HAVE to be good because they are both really heavy. [​IMG] I'm glad they are black, and these in particular have a very slick look to them IMO, partly because of the blue highlights.

4. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Anyone have any more info on these?

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I would LIKE to offer more info but since Tweeter stopped selling BA equipment, [​IMG] well...............

Edit: just used BA's dealer locater & some specialty dealers here sell BA home stuff, so maybe later this week.....?

6. Toby_R

Toby_R Auditioning

OK, maybe I am a newb here… and I realize there are some high-end AVRs out there… but is 2,200 and 3,000 really a place in the market that needs more choices?

Aren't separates getting to be a better idea at this level?

Sure are pretty though. Now something like that in the 900-1.5k range would be great.

Did I say they were pretty?

T

7. John S

John S Producer

If they can get them into more brick and morter retailers, I'd say yes we need more choices.

I live in Denver, and have a heck of a time getting to actually demo this level of equipment.

BA may just be able to do that in all honesty.

8. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I'd imagine that the new amplifiers allow some Boston Acoustics dealers to engage in home theatre installations, maybe even for the class of customer who cares more about getting the installation done than on the difference between competing pre-pro setups.

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

"D&M Holdings Inc. to Acquire Boston Acoustics, Inc."

I was already irritated at their decision to build many of their speakers offshore, but this is the final straw. They are finally off my list of products to buy or reccommend. As I said in my email to Boston just now, if McIntosh--another D&M acquisition--is now selling media servers(!!) think what those people might do to BA. [​IMG]

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

Huh? The Outlaw 1070 and 990 look a whole lot like the Sherwoods and now those BAs too. If nothing, the basic chassis are the same.

11. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

I do not see an issue with D&M Holdings buying Boston Acoustics. Neither Denon, nor Marantz seem to have suffered any from D&M. I can't speak about their other holdings because I have not personally tried them. My system consists of a Denon 3805 with Boston speakers and I think they go very well together.

Mergers and acquisitions are as normal in our world as the changing of seasons, or the greying of our hair (at least it's better than it falling out). Some acquisitions have not been good for the consumer, but others have been great. To me an example of a bad acquisition was that of Acoustic Research being bought by Audiovox. AR used to be a great name in speakers, now they have all but disappeared. At least it's not like Boston was being bought by Bose. That would be the death of the mark.

Bottom line is that like all things, time will tell.

FYI; The latest issue of "Hometheater Magazine" has a test on the Boston AVR-7120. They seem to like it sonically. But, to me a receiver in that price range now a days needs to have video upconverion to 720p/1080i like a some of the other flagships. I did not see that feature on the spec. list.

Regards, Alan Wise