Boston Acoustics Micro 130xb and Micro Center

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Russell Swanson, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Russell Swanson

Russell Swanson Auditioning

Does anyone have any opinions regarding these Satellites by Boston Acoustics. My living room is 16 X 13 and my wife prefers to keep the living room looking like a living room and not a Home Theater room, so to appease her and to make my life happier, I am looking for a good satellite system minus the sub. I already have a Velodyne HGS10, so I don't need a sub with the system. Are these speakers worth the $250 price tag they're asking just for one speaker? I'm willing to spend that kind of money, but if there is a satellite system for that same amount of money but better than the Boston Acoustics, then I would like to check them out. From what I was able to hear at the store, they sounded great, but I wasn't sure if I was going to have any bass management issues with my Yamaha RXV2095. The yammie has a built in crossover at 90hz and the satellites go down to 80hz. Is that enough of an overlap in frequency to avoid any serious gaps? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/hs_pr...8&CategoryID=3

2. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I used to use a Boston Micro center and micro 90II's for my front soundstage........I now use them for the rears in 6.1. The 90 are very similar to the ones you are looking at. I would highly recommend them if they are for movies only. Personaly I think NO satelite will do music justice. They do not go deep at all so make sure your crossover setting are set up as high as it can go. They are very much worth the price tag. I do not think you will find more solidly built sats. at the same price point. For little speakers they weigh a ton. The cabinet is solid aluminum. If you need anymore "technical" info let me know.....good luck.

3. Russell Swanson

Thanks Evan for the reply. I do watch movies primarily more than music, so that's good to hear that they'll really shine with movies. My other concerns are, will the micro's be enough for the size of our living room, and is my receiver's built in crossover frequency of 90hz enough overlap with the micro's 80hz limitation to not worry too much about a frequency hole. I'm really liking the size and build of these speakers - you're right about them being very heavy for their size. Seems like a good solid build - I didn't realize the casing was aluminum! That impresses me even more by how much these little suckers weigh! They also sound very good with my yammie receiver...not as "bright" as others I've heard, which is surprising since they have a titanium tweeter. I'll make the purchase this weekend if someone can address my last two concerns. Thanks again!

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Unless you listen at very loud volume levels, you should be fine for the size room you describe. I have a set of HKTS6 sat/sub in my secondary setup in a room about the same size. I bought some VR-M60s, 50s and VRC for my primary system because the HKs didn't do music justice for the same reason Evan cites (smaller, cheaper and less well built than your Bostons) but for movies, they are quite satisfactory and fill my room (as well as the rest of the house) with sound. If I wasn't a music fanatic, I'd likely have not upgraded, or if I did, it would have been to another sat/sub system like yours.

P.S. The Micros have the same tweeter as my top of the line bookshelf speakers, and it is sweet. My dealer often sells the Micros as rears to the VR-M60s that I bought for people with space issues. I've heard them set up with the 60s and they blend well. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

(I don't work for Boston, just a satisfied customer).

5. Russell Swanson

Thanks PaulDA for your response. Do you think I'll have any frequency "holes" with the receiver crossover being at 90hz and the micros having limitations down to 80hz?

6. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    No, I wouldn't think so. If the F3 response is 80hz, a 90hz crossover should work nicely. You'd likely suffer far less than I do with my HKs (my receiver allows me to go to 150hz crossover, but the HK sats are only good to about 180hz useable).

7. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I have an rx-v2200 which has the same crossover......don't be worried....it will sound just fine. Again, music is another story.....mids will suffer but they are great for movies. I had mine set up at my old apartment that was waid open with cathedral ceilings....probably 25x35' but contained to a small area that was my "living room". Of course this is not the ideal situation but it sounded fine.

8. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

I think that a crossover of 120Hz to 150Hz would be better with those speakers, but they should be ok if you are careful to avoid overdriving them.

9. Russell Swanson

Well, it looks like I'm going to purchase these then! Thanks everyone for your help in making my decision. The only thing that sucks about the older yammies is their unability to change the crossover frequency.

10. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Time for a new receiver then, eh? [​IMG] Just kidding. I think you'll be quite happy with these speakers. Let us know, once you've played with them for awhile, what they're like.