What's new

Boston Acoustics Home Theater Speaker questions.. (1 Viewer)

Tony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Hello.
I just got the Onkyo TX-DS696 receiver. I was looking into purchasing either the Boston Acoustics system 9500 or the 9000 model. Any suggestions? Do you like your BA speakers...etc..
Thanks in advance.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
I think you will be happy with Boston Acoustics...I have always loved even their cheap computer speakers...very clear and natural sounding.

StephenL

Second Unit
I had the Boston Acoustics System 9000 for 2 years. The speakers are good, but you should be aware of their limitations. The Micro 90x speakers may be adequate for smaller rooms and moderate listening levels, but they will not play loud music or reference level movie soundtracks without distorting. There is another problem. The Onkyo TX-DS696 has a crossover of 80 Hz, which is good, but the speakers you are considering should be used with a crossover of about 135 Hz.
I'm now using Micro 100x speakers (System 10K) for left, center and right, VR-MX surrounds and a PV800 subwoofer. For my needs, the performance of these speakers is worth the extra money.

Tony_I

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't aware of the crossover Hz of the Onkyo TX-DS696 and I don't what part that plays into it. I was also having trouble finding specs on the different Boston Acoustics speakers. The Official website is a bit lacking of the technical aspects of the different speakers.
Do you know what other model speakers are good to use with my crossover? Thanks again Stephen for the information.

StephenL

Second Unit
You should look for speakers that have a relatively flat frequency response below your receiver's crossover of 80 Hz. For example, Boston Acoustics rates the Micro 100x (System 10K) 64 to 20,000 Hz +/- 3 dB without a subwoofer. The frequency response specs for the System 9000 II include the subwoofer, so a direct comparison is not possible. However, the subwoofer crossover frequency of 150 Hz is a good hint that the satellites have limited capability below that frequency. If the low end of the satellite speaker's frequency response drops off too much above the crossover, there will be a notch (loss of upper bass) between the subwoofer and the satellite. Most speakers with a woofer of at least 5 1/4" should be adequate for a crossover of 80 Hz, including the Micro 100x (System 10K), VR-M50 and VR-M60.

Tony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again.
I am surprized the 10k series uses a 100x as the center channel speaker..
Would that be better then using something like the VR-12 or 10 , if I can still find them..

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
I seem to say this frequently but its something to consider.
Unless there are factors, SAF for instance, I often advise against all in one sets of speakers. They are good for some people, but others they will find faults quickly and be left with no real upgrade path. What I mean is, if you buy that Boston setup, and you find you need more upfront in the mains, you can't just go buy say the CR9s because they won't match.
My suggestion is to buy a good set of stereo speakers that have matching center and surrounds. You might want to even buy a good L/C/R combo. This can easily be done with a little budgeting. Also, I have found that all-in-one HT speaker packages don't produce music that well. Although this Boston set may be an exception.
Just Something to think about,
Jon

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
I just found something out. After writing that last post I went to read my Boston catalog. It sure enough mentioned those systems and I made an error.
If you buy the 9500, which appears to be quite good, you could later upgrade your mains to many of the others offered. The tweeter is the 1 inch w/ AMD, this is the same tweeter as in the VR-M series.
Here is an example. Lets say you get the system9500 and feel that for music listening there needs to be a little more oomph in the mains. Or perhaps you enjoy 2 channel and want a better 2 channel experience. You could pick up a pair of vr-m50s or any of the reference line. That would be a very good match I think.
BTW, I really like the VR-M series, I don't want to but I do. I took my fiance to demo speakers with me and I was shocked when we preferred the VR-M over the B&W 602s2. There is a price difference but still. If you got the system9500 and later upgraded if you felt the need, it would be quite a setup.
Good luck,
Jon

StephenL

Second Unit
Three identical front speakers can provide a more seamless soundstage, but ideally they should be at the same height with drivers oriented vertically. Take your time and listen before buying.

Spencer J

Grip
I've been running the 10K/PV800 combo for almost 2 years and am totally satisfied. Great sound, great build quality (made in USA), big-speaker volumes. If you don't want to pay the extra scratch for this setup, you could always use Outlaw Audio's external bass-management unit to optimize your gear using the BA 9000 system.

Tony,
If you are still looking, I have a Boston VR-10 for sale.
I have had Bostons all the way around for about 3 yrs now. Love 'em. VRM50s up front, 920 center, 1000 sub and VRMXs as rears. They are all great. I upgraded the VR10 to the 920 when I got a larger TV, but the VR10 is a great center.
John

Tony_I

Stunt Coordinator
It looks like the 10k with a PV800 will be the speaker setup for me. ( as long as I can find them at a reasonable price )
Anyone know how much I can pick these up for?
Seems most of the BA dealers near me try and stay too close to the MSRP....

Spencer J

Grip
I paid $1350 for the 10K, $600 for the sub, and those prices were undoubtedly adjusted with respect to speakers I was trading in. You might be able to do better than that right now, given the current distress of retailers.
Obviously, you're looking to pay as little as possible. But, keep in mind that even at ~$2,000, these speakers are still a great value, and that speakers are where your HT "rubber meets the road"-so to speak.
[Edited last by Spencer J on October 14, 2001 at 05:37 PM]

Check out http://www.mobilsat.com/ (click on "Our Products and Services->Residential->Speakers"); they are an authorized dealer, and there prices are below list. I just got a pair of their Boston VR-MX surround speakers. Several years ago I bought the T1030 towers and a VR-12 center channel. I have a Hsu Research VTF-2 sub. This system sounds really good when driven by my Onkyo 989.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks