Boston Acoustics center channel

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John_RO, May 25, 2005.

1. John_RO

John_RO Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if anyone has the new Boston CRC7 center. I have a complete CR setup, including CR8's for my mains and CR65's for my surrounds (5.1 setup). I purchased a CRC center long ago but returned it because the magnetic shielding was crap and it produced lines on my tv at higher volumes, -30 and above (powered by a Yamaha RXV 1000). I am currently using a Polk CS 245i for my center and it works pretty well after adjusting the center eq a bit.

Is the new CRC7 any better than the old CRC? The specs are the same although the CRC7 has a wood cabinet as opposed to the plastic CRC. Way back when, I was told the crossover was the problem with the CRC and there was nothing I could do about it.

Any Boston CR users out there with advice?

Thanks,

John

2. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

John,

I am running a 7.1 system with six CR-75's (wall mounted) and a VRC as my center. I originally had the CRC and found it to be very weak. I have nothing but great things to say about the VRC in my system. Although it has a different tweeter design than the CR line, it still blends wonderfully. I reccomend that you give it a try.

Regards, Alan Wise

3. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I agree with Alan. The Cr tweeter is MUCH different (Kortec vs' Aluminum) than the VRC but if you are going to be using it for movies mostly you can get away with the difference I think. The VRC is a relatively sensitive speaker as well so you might actually need to turn down the output of it on your receivers menu to blend well with the mains. Other speakers worth looking into fo a center (most are going to be a bit older but could be found on auction sites for a good deal) are: Vr10, Vr12, Vr910, Vr920, VRMC and the Bravo center. All are great center and would be an upgrade (IMO) over the CRC. My personal favorites are the VR12 and VR920......to me the best centers Boston has put out.......Best of luck to you.

4. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Evan,

You made me think of something. My speakers are driven by my Denon AVR-3805. I used the auto-setup/auto EQ. That probably made the adjustments needed to best blend the different tweeter materials. As I said before, I am extremely happy with the sound. Although I use my system mostly for movies, I do listen to hi-rez music via my Denon DVD-2900 in SACD, and DVD-A format. They also sound excellent to my ears.

Regards, Alan