What's new

Boston Acoustics anyone? (1 Viewer)

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone here have Boston Acoustic CR75 speaakers?
Also, how about the matching CRC center channel?
Any views and opinions would be welcome.

Thanks, Al. Wise

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I have a pair of Boston VR-950's. I love them. Best sounding speakers I have heard around their price range.. $700-$1500. I think they are incredible. Dont worry there are a couple people on here who have CR series. Someone will post soon.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have CR55, CR85, and CR95 speakers. The CR55's are used as surrounds to my Cr95 fronts in one system. The CR85's are fronts in the other. I'm hunting CR65's or CR75's for rears. I obviously like the CR series. I listened to a lot of speakers and I felt they were the best sound for the money. I looked closely at the CR75's and think they have a great sound. Matched with a nice sub, they would make great mains.

I also have a CRC and VRC centers. Both are very nice!

If you can fit towers, see if you can find some VR950's on closeout. I've seen them for $350/pr. I think these were better than speakers twice the price when they sold for $700/pr.

BrianWH

Agent
I have CR65 mains with the CRC and CR55 surrounds. If I had the money to spend, I would have the CR75 up front for their better bass response, but the 65's have very nice response in a considerably smaller package, which works better for my room/furniture.

The CRC is a really nice center with the following drawbacks:

If you sit too close (closer than 7ft or so), you can tell that the sound seems to come from the right side of the speaker more than the left, due to the active/passive woofers (left is passive radiator). So don't sit so close ;-)

Bass response is somewhat lacking from the CRC, but this is only an issue if you have no sub.

The CR-series, in my humble opinion, is the best value-priced speaker line available today.

Brian
my HT

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all,
After a four week search I have finally made my speaker decision.

Fronts = Boston Acoustic CR75's

Front Center = Boston Acoustic CRC

Rear Surrounds = Boston Acoustic CR75's

Rear Center = Boston Acoustic CRC

I already have an AR PR1212 250 AMP active down throw sub, and a Yamaha RX-V640 receiver.
when making my final speaker system decisions Tweeter Etc. used my exact make/model receiver. I brought my own media (Santana Abraxys, Led Zepplin Kashmir, and Twister DVD (love the flying cows scene))

I pick up my new speaker system this Saturday.
It will be a very good weekend!

Thanks again for you experience and opinions.

Al. Wise

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I think you will be very happy with the system. I use the RX-V630 on both systems. The Yamaha matches very well with Boston.

Let us know what you think when it is up and running.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
I have CR-85 mains with a CRC center and am very pleased (using CR-6 speakers for rears). Agree with everything said so far -- good match, and great sound. Also using a Yamaha receiver and agree with what was said about these brands together.

See this link for a very informative review of the CR series:
http://webcenter.soundandvision.nets...aid,266,00.asp

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
"Man am I the only one who can afford more than just CR series? :D "

Am I missing the joke............?

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
I missed it too...

Jesse, although the intent of your comment may have been harmless, I think it may be insulting to some.

For what it's worth, I have a pair of VR-940s as well as CR-65s for surrounds, a VR-910 center and PV-700 sub.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help guys!
I will follow up with another post once I have everything installed and broken in.

Jesse, Maybe you do not have the financial commitments that some of us do, thus allowing you to funnel more funds to your HT hobby. Power to you. I have a son in a $36K per year private college (EE major), thus my priorities are set for now. I have slated that this system that I am building will last me three years. At that point the boy will be out of college and probably will be shopping for a condo. This system would make an excellent starter for him (my old HTIB went into his room in the Frat House). I will have pleased the wife, fulfilled my educational committment to my son, and will go whole hog on a stellar HT system (with the experience and opinions from this forum no doubt).

Thanks again guys.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Very well said Alan.
Congrats on finding a system that suits you. Boston Makes excellent stuff (no matter the price range).
I think people sometimes forget that people have other obligations in their lives other than HT. My parents also gave me the best gift that anyone could ever ask for, years ago.....my education.......and it is one that will keep giving for as long as I am around. Congratulations for fulfilling that education commitment for your son. It is one that he apreciates more than you may know :).

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Sorry I didnt mean to offend anyone. I was just kidding. Anyways I got my 950's for $160 for the pair. They were the last ones left. :D

I know how you feel though. I have 2 children also. Thankfully the oldest is only 3 1/2. Im dreading college.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Steven, the 950's have been closed out. All of the the vr9-- have been closed out for awhile. They have been replaced by the vr1,2 and 3's. You mioght be able to find some left over 950's or 965's floating around, or floor models. Most places are selling the 950 for around 360$ (msrp 700$) and the 965's for around 650$ (msrp 1000$). If you find them someplace and they are selling them at list DO NOT BUY THEM. They are ripping you off BIG TIME!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks