Boston Acoustics A60 Series II repair

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Matt C, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Matt C

Matt C Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    My Uncle has a pair of these that he dug out of his attic recently, purchased back in 1986. He would like to use these speakers again as surrounds, and has asked me, as the only HT enthusiast in the family for help. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about speaker repair, though I do have skill with soldering and basic electronics.

The woofers in both have completely rotted out, and will need to be replaced in order to get them to work. Is it possible to find new woofers that could fit in these speakers? Do they have to be woofers made when these speakers were in production, or can a present-day woofer made of newer, tougher materials be used instead? If a new woofer is used, not made by Boston Acoustics, would a new crossover have to be installed in the speaker?

Also, would it be recommended to replace the tweeters in the speakers at the same time? They do not look as though they are in bad condition (if there is a way to tell by looking, I would appreciate the info), but I would like to know that they won't fail a year or two of use down the road, especially if I'm going to be dismantling the speaker now.

Any recommendations or sites would be most appreciated. If I understand it correctly, these speakers were rather well-regarded 20 years ago?

-Matt C

2. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

The woofers simply need to be re-foamed. Kits are available from vendors on Ebay as well as elsewhere. Re-foaming is a pretty simple process and if you are at all handy, which it sounds that you are, I don't think you'll have any problem doing it yourself. Please, please, whatever you do, unless you are able to get direct replacements from Boston, do not replace the woofers with new ones. I see people do this all the time and it drives me nuts. Great way to ruin a fantastic pair of speakers. They were designed with the specs of that woofer in mind and a generic replacement just won't do the speaker any justice.

Most likely the tweeters are fine. Unless someone blew them in the past really not much to go wrong.

-Dave

3. Matt C

Matt C Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    Thanks for the reply Dave. You've given me a place to start looking with the re-foaming suggestion; I didn't even know such a thing was possible! Thanks for the advice concerning replacing the woofer completely, I'll be steering well away from that idea now. I'll start looking into the refoaming process; can a kit like that be obtained from Boston Acoustics, or is something like that strictly third-party? Also, would a kit be for specific brands/models, or are they for any woofer? Finally, what do I look for to make sure what I get is of decent quality, or is that not something that needs to be worried about too much?

-Matt

4. Eric Ha

Eric Ha Stunt Coordinator

5. Matt C

Matt C Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    Eric,

Thanks for the link. I just found that site via Google today, was wondering if it was a legit company. But if you're recommending it, I would have to assume that it is. Also, I saw they were willing to let you look at their instructional video before even purchasing; nice touch, gives me a lot more confidence in the company after watching it (I've had some bad dealings with internet companies in the past, it has made me a little over-cautious [​IMG] )

-Matt