Boston Acoustics A40 - worth repairing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kudret, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Kudret

Kudret Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of 12 year old Boston Acoustics A40 speakers that need drivers to be replaced. Is it worth it to buy new drivers for them and where can I find the replacement drivers? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Kudret- I used to run A40s on all 5 channels for HT, and they are EXCELLENT speakers; not too bright, not too warm, just right, and very accurate. I'm running A70s now, but my A40s may be doing time soon in a bedroom system.

My dad is a real Boston freak; he re-did the surrounds himself. The kits to redo rotted surrounds are about $18 online (check parts express); you can also order replacement drivers from Boston for $30 apiece.

Depending on the exact model, you might consider Ebay if you don't want to keep them. The A40V (video shielding) is especially precious.

3. Kudret

Kudret Stunt Coordinator

Matt, I didn't know that repair kits existed. I thought I would have to replace the drivers and I wasn't planning to go for an expensive solution but repair kit seems like a good idea. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Check out the repair kit if the woofer is not blown. I blew my A70 II woofers and replaced them once. Back when the Canuck dollar wasn't in the basement, they were $75.00 USD which was still much less than $100 CAD. That was 6 or 7 years ago.